[3830] ARRLDX SSB KH7XS(K4XS) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB KH7XS(K4XS) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 12:54:43 -0700 (PDT)
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KH7XS
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: KH7XS

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: lAUPAHOEHOEHOE, KH6
Operating Time (hrs): 29

  160:
   80:
   40: 2456    60
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 2456    60  Total Score = 442,080

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Absolutely the most satisfying contest I've done in my 1 1/2 years from this
station!

Set out to break the old Oceania record of 250K.  By the end of the first
operating day I had eclipsed that by 10K.  On my off time I did some quick
research and checked to see what the world record was....366K.  That was my new
goal and luck was with me.  We are in the middle of a big rain event on the Big
Island (6 inches just for Saturday) and when that happens, sometimes the power
goes out.  The lights flickered several times in the middle of big runs, but we
kept power.

By 0800Z I had reached the world record, but kept pushing trying to put as many
"cushion" QSOs as I could to keep the score in a new record range even after
being attacked by the log checking process.

Once the band really opened on the first day at around 0130, the next two hours
produced 200+ hours back to back.  Many others have done this but it was the
first time I had ever experienced this working split on 40.  The USA morning
sunrise was huge both mornings.  It's always fun to work that one as the
grayline runs across W1 to W6.

The spotting lemmings were out in force again taking the lazy way out by not
listening to my IDs and blindly calling.  I could tell when it happened when I
would work many dupes in a row.  As the end of the contest approached I
actually asked what station they were calling. I was KH6XS (it always happens),
KH7HS, KH7X, as well as other permutations.  Many of the guys who tried to work
me that way were newbies, but some of the guys were guys who should know
better.  I love the packet pile ups, but not when its a pile up of dupes.  You
station owners running Multi-single and Multi-two and such need to mention this
to your ops.  It's costing you UBN penalties.

Thanks to all the FCG guys who called me as well as all the guys who spotted me
(correctly).  I'll see you all in the WPX at the end of the month.  Mahalo for a
great contest.