[3830] ARRLDX SSB W1CTN SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W1CTN SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:29:27 -0700
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W1CTN
Operator(s): W1CTN
Station: W1CTN

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 26.25

  160:   39    33
   80:  121    63
   40:  146    66
   20:  407    95
   15:  128    43
   10:   10     7
-------------------
Total:  851   307  Total Score = 783,771

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Rig :    FT1000MP MK5 - LK500ZA 1 KW OUTPUT

         Antennas : 160 1/4 WAVE INVERTED L 70' VERTICAL SECTION
                     80 1/4 WAVE VERTICAL - GROUND MOUNTED
                     40 1/4 WAVE VERTICAL - GROUND MOUNTED
                  20-10 T10 10 ELEMENT LOG PERIODIC @53 FT

90% S&P, only found one real run frequency on Sunday.

Time in the chair: 26 hrs 15 minutes

Highlight...Working BX5AA, on 20, through a pair of KP4's rag chewing on
frequency.
Dimlight....Finally getting a run frequency on 20 meters only to have the
weakest stations on earth call me. Someone must have posted me with having the
ears of "Dumbo". Sorry if I missed someone during that run, I have constant
noise at my QTH, located in a suburban neighborhood.

I put as much chair time in as possible. Slept more than I probably should
have, but at least I wasn't a zombie at work today. Next year I will plan a day
off after this affair.

I found the bands in pretty good shape considering the lack of sunspots. 80
meters was a pleasure to work with signals usually hearing me with one call. I
figured out how to use the  N1MM split procedure, so 80 and 40 split was a
breeze.

The 10 meter opening on Sunday gave me some challenges trying to work a few
stations on all 6 bands. We can all remember when 10 meters could give us at
least 500 Q's. Even running low power.

Sunday's Asian opening was full of JA's from 100 watts to a KW. With the
addition to the Taiwan QSO, I also worked a UA0, something I haven't done in
awhile.

I heard a lot of my fellow club members (YCCC) on backscatter so I know we put
out a good effort. At least nothing here broke during the contest, I hope it
stays that way.

There's always room for improvement so it's back to the drawing board for next
season.

73
Dave
W1CTN
Radio Ansonia

PS: Anyone using elevated (>15'/5 mtrs up) 40 meter vertical arrays? If so, I
who be interested in hearing from you. w1ctn@yahoo.com