[3830] ARRLDX SSB FS5KA(W1SJ) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1sj@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB FS5KA(W1SJ) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:36:23 -0700
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: FS5KA
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: FS5KA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: St. Martin
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:  177    37
   80: 1091    58
   40:  841    57
   20: 1944    60
   15: 1411    59
   10:    3     1
-------------------
Total: 5467   272  Total Score = 4,461,072

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I last operated from St. Martin in the 2006 ARRL DX. Despite the weaker
conditions this year, I was hoping to improve, since a good deal of time last
time was spent on equipment problems. However, Murphy had other ideas...

The big Log Periodic used at the station had some issues. Unfortunately the
hazer system was rusted beyond use, requiring replacement, which we had the
parts to do. Unfortunately, we were hampered by missing parts and tools the
first day and high winds the second. For safety reasons, I decided not to
attempt to lower the tower and to deal with slightly decreased performance.
Boy, that was a mistake! The antenna took power at first, but when the amp was
brought on line, something fried in the coax or balun, I suspect, as the
antenna ceased to function at all.

Soooo, the big signal many of you heard from me on 15 meters Saturday was a
plain old 40 meter dipole up 45 feet. The elevation and the location did the
rest of the work fortunately....

Until 15 died. Attempting to deal with a mess on 20m with a dipole was like a
knight jousting in his underwear. It was tough - and not much fun.

This was offset by great conditions on 80 and 160.  The 160 meter run, although
short, was very sweet.  And then the 160 meter dipole died - likely a similar
problem that I had with the Yagi.

After sunrise Sunday, I decided that I really didn't want to fight the QRM with
a dipole all day. I found an old Force 12 C3 which was laying around. It was in
rough condition, but I was desperate.  So, I single-handely wrenched it up on a
16' roof tower and bolted it in place toward the U.S. With the high winds and
lack of sleep, I can't say that this was one of my more intelligent moves, but
as I mentioned previously, I was desperate. With help from a tuner, I got the
Force 12 to play with a teeny bit of gain and a lot more QRM calming
directivity.

I was rewarded with a killer hour on 15 meters. OK, things are gonna work out
great!

And then the band died.  And back to 20 I went and was met with rates even
lower than what I get from home. Some days, it pays to just stay on the beach!

Finally 20 meters came back and I had some great rates. Right in the last hour,
guys were screaming to me to go on 10 meters. I gave it a try, but besides the
crew from SA, all I could get was Texas.

Looking at the reports, everyone had there share of trials and tribulations
with the propagation. It could have been worse.  Hey, and a bad day in the
Caribbean is still better than a good day at work!