[3830] Commonwealth VU2PTT(@VU2PTTV) Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vu2ptt@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VU2PTT(@VU2PTTV) Open HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:29:16 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: VU2PTT
Operator(s): VU2PTT
Station: VU2PTTV

Class: Open HP
QTH: Bangalore MK82tx
Operating Time (hrs): 20.5

------------
   80:   13
   40:  110
   20:  185
   15:   32
   10:    6
------------
Total:  346  Total Score = 4,290

Club: Team South Asia

Comments:

Rig: Icom 746-PRO + SB-200 Amp (400 W)
Ant: Force 12 C3/S at 60', 40m Inv-Vee at 55', 80m Inv-L GP w/1 radial
Interface: MicroHAM MicroKeyer II (CAT, Winkey, Amp keyer, sound card)

Another BERU goes by, one of the real fun contests for me :)

It was good to work a lot of friends/familiar callsigns and am just
waiting to hear how it sounds when the Sun is more benevolent to us all. I
nearly toppped my previous best in BERU 1998 exactly 11 years ago as AT0PTT
with 4385 points when I only had a G5RV antenna.

Score was about 30% better than last year but conditions were worse this
time round. Should put it down to station improvements and no energy
expended in putting up last minute antennas and station wiring which was
the norm in the past. Thanks to the XYL VU2AQB for a very functional
operating desk (see QRZ.COM for a picture).

Missed all the Carribeans save 8P0P on 40m, that really underlined the poor
conditions overall at this end. I was hoping to work them all at least on
40m, but the Sun said NO.

80m - Back on 80m this year but with just 13 QSOs, need to improve the
antenna system. Did work some of the big 'uns from UK and of course
ZC4/5B4 and also VQ9JC. A RX loop is in the works.

40m - Played fairly well but I guess it could have been better. Couple of
VE QSOs improved the feel good factor.

20m - The money band these days out here but I guess the VE opening was not
good enough.

15m - Had some expectations on this band, but it all fell flat. Towards the
end ended up working Africa & VK and trying to move stations to 10m.

10m - Although practically dead showed some surprising signs of life with
huge sgnals from 9J2BO, VK9AA and VK6-LW, BN, AJ. Should be heard to be
believed and people say 10m is dead, NO I say, at least to some parts of
the world signals are HUGE.

HQ Stations - Only three heard and worked this year - VU2LYX (5 bands),
GB5CC (2 bands), ZL6A (2 bands).

Thanks to Arasu VU2UR for motivating a whole group of people to sign up for
Team South Asia - some of you must have been surprised to hear several VU2
stations calling CQ BERU. It was a new experience for me to hear at least five
VU2 stations calling CQ on different parts of 20 m all at the same time!

All QSOs in the contest were recorded like last year, and if you want to
hear any particular QSO just ask and I shall send it out.

Worked on multiple bands:

5 Bands - 1
4 Bands - 12
3 Bands - 18
2 Bands - 41
1 Band  - 157

My logs are already on ARRL LoTW, adn I see several matches already.

See you all in the next BERU. I will be in the RDXC contest next weekend and
hope to bump into many of you then.

73 de Prasad VU2PTT.