[3830] VaQP W4PM SOAB/CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hmmjr@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] VaQP W4PM SOAB/CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 20:08:44 -0700
                    Virginia QSO Party

Call: W4PM
Operator(s): W4PM
Station: W4PM

Class: SOAB/CW HP
QTH: Hanover, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:   25
   80:  237
   40:  190
   20:   87
   15:    1
   10:    1
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  541     0       0  Mults = 123  Total Score = 135,800

Club: Central Virginia Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Ten Tec Omni VII, Ameritron ALS-600 - 400W
Antenna: 176' tuned doublet at 60'

This was a fun event.

Conditions were very poor on 15 and 10 with only one contact on each and they
were with a local. 20 was fair the first day and rather poor the 2nd day.
Perhaps a better antenna here would have changed my mind about that. The lower
bands were very good and 160 could have given much better results but few
seemed to get on that band.  I guess that's normal for a QSO party.  40 was
tough at night with the competition from the RTTY contest but still yielded a
number of good QSO's.  Also the RDXC was in full swing but that helped a bit
when a number of participants in that called me.

I didn't work many mobiles, mainly W4W who gave me 15 Q's.  I think the mobiles
spent a lot of time on 40 and 20 where their signals were extremly weak here.
On 80 they had big signals but I didn't find many.

This was my best results ever.  My initial goal was to beat my 340 Q's of last
year.  Once that was done I set a goal to make 100,000 points.  That happened
much to my suprise and then I just kept plugging to the end and ended up with a
much higher score than I had ever imagined! As in any State QSO Party there are
times when grass grows faster than QSO's hit the log.  I stuck those times out
and kept pushing the CQ button.  There's a outside chance my score might make
it to Number 1 Fixed Station HP CW only, but if I did this well there are other
better operators with better stations who probably did even better. We'll just
have to wait and see!

Thanks to all who made my log.  I appreciate the contacts, especially from all
those folks who sent a very low number and were obviously just casually calling
a few stations.  I'm pleased and gratified that I was one of them.

73,
Puck, W4PM

P.S. My score includes the 500 bonus points for working K4NVA.  With my mult
total that's like 2 more contacts. :-)