[3830] Rus DX OH4A(OH6KZP) SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kim.ostman@tut.fi
Subject: [3830] Rus DX OH4A(OH6KZP) SO SSB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 00:54:00 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: OH4A
Operator(s): OH6KZP
Station: OH4A

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: Kisko
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:   0      212      33        50
   80:   0      482      58        60
   40:   0      438      53        58
   20:   0      585      75        58
   15:   0       70      22        13
   10:   0        6       3         0
Total:   0     1793     244       239  Total Score = 5,717,754

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

This is a raw score I haven't been able to check yet, because I haven't run the
Cabrillo creation on my 8-month-old Windows Vista laptop that is acting up
right now ( &#%%&¤$@¤ !! ).

A fun contest, lots of activity. This time the run-up to the contest on Friday
evening and Saturday morning felt like another contest, with struggles to get
the DX cluster connection working through Bluetooth and GSM/3G, the logging
program (well, to be honest, I guess more accurately to get the operator to
know how to use the program...) to co-operate with the SO2R setup, and one of
the amplifier relays to connect properly. Anyway, all was ok a couple of hours
before the contest (which started at 2 pm local time). First time using N1MM
for SO2R, which was interesting.

Tried to utilize the DX cluster opportunity to the fullest, mostly for
multipliers but also for finding 10-point Russian stations to work. Hats go off
to our UA-friends for the high level of their activity. Even tried to use some
Russian language with the help of the phonetics provided at the RDXC site, but
I don't know if that helped me any....

160/80 were fine. As with many of my SOAB efforts, the 40m score is again the
odd ball out, perhaps this time mirroring my extreme dislike of 40m SSB. Like
OH6NIO said once when I was operating with him, having to work 40m SSB should
be considered a punishment....! I guess I should undergo some mental
reprogramming for that. 20m is a bit difficult to Russia from southern Finland
because of the skip, but I guess it went ok. Only a few contacts on 15m, with
some "real" DX openings on Saturday evening and some sporadic-E on Sunday.
Tõnno ES5TV moved with me to 10m on Sunday morning for the mult, and I thought
that would be the only QSO, but a few more popped up. Seems like CW rather than
SSB was the place to be for the sporadic E, based on cluster spots and the few
times I went down to the CW portion of the band to listen if there was any
life. 15/10 were hampered by some man-made noise of up to S7-level at worst,
but fortunately not all of the time.

Thanks to Jukka OH6LI and Merja for letting me use their summer cottage and the
station! And thanks to all for the QSOs.