[3830] Rus DX JA1BPA(@JG1ZUY) SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, icko@yahoo.co.jp
Subject: [3830] Rus DX JA1BPA(@JG1ZUY) SO SSB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 05:26:41 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: JA1BPA
Operator(s): JA1BPA
Station: JG1ZUY

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: Kimitsu City, CHIBA
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:
   80:
   40:         111
   20:         677
   15:          23
   10:          16
Total:   0     827       95       110  Total Score = 1,282,070

Club: University of Tokyo Contest Club

Comments:

This was my 6th consecutive year of participation in this contest, but the
weather conditions over the past few weeks in Tokyo area seriously affected the
results this year.  Two weeks before the RDXC, the 60 mph wind had damaged our
WARC band antenna and the rotator for 10mb antenna.  I had thought that our
tri-bander for 40/20/15mb was safe, but it turned out on the day of the contest
that it did not work properly on 15mb.

Besides, the weather turned gusty again on Sunday with 40 mph wind constantly
blowing.  Our shack is located on a hilly area across Tokyo Bay, and I learned
from the TV that the toll bridge to go back home had been closed because of
heavy wind.  Being worried that the road to go down from the shack might be
blocked by fallen trees, I decided to finish the contest earlier at our sunset
and to go down the hill before it got completely dark.

Here are the highlights and the lowlights of the RDXC 2009.

[Highlights]
* Better opening to Russia than last year on 20mb at the beginning of the
contest.  The 10Q rate peaked at 200/hour (not bad for a serial number contest)
and I could make 156 Qs in the first hour.
* Surprising opening on 10mb to South America and the West Coast of the US.  It
seemed that the path to the US was from south-east but my antenna was fixed at
north-west.  This was my 1st USA on 10mb since 2007.

[Lowlights}
* After the first hour, I never had a good run.  Every hour was 40~50 Qs at
best.
* The failure of 15mb antenna forced me to miss the short opening to Russia
around 06Z~07Z there.
* Obviously, having to finish the contest 3 hours before the contest ended,
when there was a good opening to Europe on 20mb.

I will be staying in Boston MA for one year starting September this year, so I
will not be able to participate in the RDXC 2010 from Japan.  Hopefully, I will
find somewhere in the visiting area to work from.

Best 73 and FB contesting.

de Icko, JA1BPA