[3830] JIDX CW VA7ST SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] JIDX CW VA7ST SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 11:30:52 -0700
                    JIDX CW Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 2

  160:
   80:
   40:   8      8
   20:  23     14
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  31     22  Total Score = 682

Club:

Comments:

SFI=69  A=10  K=1 == Solar cycle 24 cannot get here soon enough.

Was on for a total of 2 hours, but conditions were very bad and my time was
spread out over MANY visits to the radio to see if I could hear anyone new.

I wondered aloud in 2006 where all the JA contesters have gone. Back then I
worked twice as many JAs as this year (60 vs. 31). This morning I was lamenting
the decline of JA contesting, using JIDX CW as a measure of that decline.

I wanted to ask "Will they be back one day, with the return of sun spots?"

Then I saw that NT6X found 278 JAs on 40M this weekend. N6RO worked 416 JAs on
40M. Outstanding! They are there, but a little pistol station like mine just
isn't hearing them.

That prompted me to look at JIDX CW logs submitted year-over-year...

         JAs    NAs   All
2008     180    30    591
2007     149    41    488
2006     150    37    570
2005     171    48    661
2004     114    32    377
2003     163    37    520
2002     244    45    655
2001     257    39    591

Just 30 North American stations send in logs last year -- it's no wonder JAs
are so hard to find in this contest: there's little reason to beam North
America. On 20M or 40M, an enterprising JA could work every single North
American participant in about 15 minutes flat -- leaving 29.75 hours remaining
to beam the rest of the world.

About 180 JAs submitted logs in 2008, which was actually up by 31 from the year
before.

Looking at these historical participation rates reveals that JIDX CW is
actually quite stable. For example, in 2001 about 591 logs were submitted from
around the world. In 2008, the count was the same: 591 logs.

So, will they be back? Well, at least in JIDX CW it appears they never left.

We've had 600 sunspotless days since then (as of April 12, 2009). Typical solar
min duration: 485 days. See the "Spotless Days" counter at Spaceweather.com
http://www.spaceweather.com/

When sunspots begin to perk away again I'm sure a lot of contesters in Japan
(and elsewhere), particularly those with more modest antenna arrangements, will
once again find their transceivers. I can hardly wait.

My JIDX CW tracking...

Year Class   Qs     Pts Mult  Score
-----------------------------------
2009 ABL     31      31   22    682
2008 40H     20      20   16    320
2007 ABH     11      11   10    110
2006 ABL     60      60   37  2,220
2005 ABL     35      38   19    722
2004 ABL      7       7    7     49
2003 ABL     51      51   35  1,785

Thanks to Tack JE1CKA and the contest committee -- and all the JA ops.

73, Bud VA7ST
http://www3.telus.net/va7st