[3830] FlQP W8MJ SOABMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] FlQP W8MJ SOABMixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 19:01:01 -0700
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: W8MJ
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: W8MJ

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 20
Radios: SO2R

   40:  137     20
   20:  378    397
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  515    397  CW Mults = 67  Ph Mults = 66  Total Score = 379,582

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

With FQP upon us I had to take the afternoon off from work on Friday to get the
station in final order for the weekend from the previous weekend MQP
Multi-Multi effort at my place.  Had to climb the tower with stack TH-7's and
loosen up the rotor on the top beam so I could swing it towards Florida and
tightened it back down.  Lost the rotor back just before snow came so I had it
locked down at 55 degrees.   Additionally, I had a TH-6 on the 2nd tower under
the 40 meter beam at 60 foot fixed west (no rotor).  Prior to MQP K8CC came
over and helped me remount it to the SE.  I wasn't getting much use out of it
fixed West, and putting it in the SE would help it to be more productive for DX
contests as well as FQP.  I have been using an A-3 antenna (50 ft.), by the
house for a number of years for FQP and it is working fine. Using the A-3 helps
me to run SO2R a lot better on the same band, but I was having difficulty
breaking pileups.  I felt the TH-6 on the 2nd radio for CW contacts would be a
lot better for breaking pileups, and it proved to be the case.

Checking the bands before the contest, 20 meters was very good to Florida from
here for meâ?¦signal reports were S9 + prior to the start.  Conditions
continued to play favorable here on 20 meters right up to the close of the
first day of the contest, and carried over into the 2nd day as well.  The
conditions on 20 meters probably were the best I have ever experienced from my
place for FQP.  It seemed like I had a pipe line straight to Florida on 20.
The mobile signals seemed good all weekend, and at times some were S7-S9.  The
rate was good the entire weekend with the only exception between 2100Z-2200Z on
Saturday, when a storm moved through my place and all of sudden I lost power.
As soon as the power went out, I was contemplating going to get the generator
hooked up, and by the time I made my way out of the shack to the bottom of
stairs the power came back on and never went out again.  So I went back to
operating the contest without any further incidents.

I thought the mobiles did an outstanding job the entire weekend.  They are
truly an integral part that really makes FQP be so successful. Out of my 912
contacts (another best effort for me) 512 of those were with the mobiles.
Thatâ??s 56% of my total contacts over all.  The operating skills of the
mobiles were exceptional, and they were just great the entire weekend.  The
mixed mobiles were good about qsying for an SSB contact.  The K4KG crew have
this locked down real wellâ?¦.they are superb at doing it.  So a big thanks to
all of you guys for your willingness to qsy to SSB and work me.  Thank you very
muchâ?¦it worked well the entire weekend.

I missed the county sweep on SSB mode by one.  Missed (Mon) but not for my lack
of trying. I had worked 6 or more (Mon) on CW that were not a part of the mixed
operations, but could not get anyone to move to phone.  Getting that double
sweep is really nice to get, and a very gratifying accomplishment.  This one
kept me in the chair the entire time both days with the exception of a
necessary momentary potty break each day.  Overall this was another great FQP
and a fun time chasing the mobiles and working the casual SSB fixed stations
that answered my CQ's on phone. Great job again FQP.  Thanks for another great
year.

Mobiles Worked

N4KK (62), K4KG (60), NN4TO (48), K4OJ (45), N4EEB (39), W4AN (37), N4PN (34)

W5WMU (32), NF4A (32), K9ES (26), NO5W (24), KN4Y (19), N4AO (13), AD4Z (11)

W8FNW (8), K4LQ (5), W4ZW (4), N1XC (4), N1WON (4), KC4HW (4)

Unique Calls Worked