[3830] MiQP K8MQP(@W8MJ) M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8cc@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] MiQP K8MQP(@W8MJ) M/M HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 07:56:02 -0700
                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8MQP
Operator(s): K8CC,K8GLS,K8GT,KE8OC, W8MJ, W8UE
Station: W8MJ

Class: M/M HP
QTH: LIVI
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:  260     217
   40:  200     557
   20:   95     392
   15:    0       0
   10:    0       0
--------------------
Total:  551    1166  CW Mults = 101  Ph Mults = 120  Total Score = 502,996

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Equipment:

80M: FT-1000MPField, AL-1200, CW dipole, SSB dipole, (2) beverages
40M: FT-1000MP, AL-1200, 2L Telrex yagi, wire yagi aimed south, low dipole
20M: FT-100MPField, Titan, TH7 stack aimed NE/SE/W

This was a smaller than usual effort for the K8MQP team.  With only 5.25 ops
available (KE8OC was part time) we cut back to three rigs rather than our usual
four or five.  Our original plan was to operate from KN8S's QTH up north in
Cheboygan County, but a last minute family emergency in Florida caused us to
change plans and operate from W8MJ's QTH in Livingston County.  Logistically,
this was much simpler as it avoided the five hour commute north.  We were able
to set up the entire station on the Friday before MiQP so Saturday morning the
team could just sit down and operate.

Conditions seemed to be very similar to recent years.  We worked very few MI
stations on 40M.  However, our 80M station had good luck with in-state QSOs for
the entire contest, including working the mobiles a good number of times.  Our
in-state multiplier count is largely due to the determination of our 80M team
(W8MJ & W8UE) in moving stations between modes to fill in missing mults.  We
appreciate everyone who QSY'd for us.

In past years, we've commented about how 20M CW seemed to get worked out while
20M SSB would still provide QSOs.  We experienced that same situation on 40M
this year as we seemed to hit a wall on CW, but CQing on SSB would still
generated business.  Our 40M and 20M totals show this clearly, but it is
interesting that 80M has a clear edge of CW QSOs over SSB.

This was our second best multi-op effort in terms of QSOs and mults, but third
best for overall score, again due to the relative shift from two point CW QSOs
to one point SSB QSOs.

Activity seemed good, and there seemed to be a lot of new callsigns active,
particularly from in-state.  Our thanks to everyone for the QSOs.

73,
K8MQP Operator Team