[3830] ARI DK6XZ(E77XZ) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dk6xz@t-online.de
Subject: [3830] ARI DK6XZ(E77XZ) SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 11:13:46 -0700
                    ARI International DX Contest

Call: DK6XZ
Operator(s): E77XZ
Station: DL0MB

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Rastatt, S/W DL
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    87   3,03           26+16
   80:   240   2,58           38+28
   40:   301   2,62           54+32
   20:   375   2,40           58+21
   15:    83   2,01            32+7
   10:    17   0,82            13+0
------------------------------------
Total:  1103      0     0       325  Total Score = 895,375

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Hello Contesters!

Last year was the first time I entered this contest, in an open-sky fieldday
way. It was surely producing extreme fun to bild antennas and to "burn" the
generator and fire in the beautiful landscape, but with 25-50W and wires was
more than that even not expected. This time approached ARI more seriously and
operated the club station DL0MB, while the rest of the crew were running DR0A
in VHF/SHF contest, at the mountain top. Unfortunatelly I was not able to join
them.

As I do not work in RTTY and would have only a hand microphone available, so
the SOP-CW was the entry decission. Later in contest I found out, Italians (
our targets ) seem to have more pleasure on phone mode. I expected much more of
them on low bands - recalling that they were very activ and numerous in ARIDXC.
This fact was not known and prejudiced for the given strategy...

My target was 1000 Qs; and it was done 2 hours before the end of the contest
time! Well, as I heard around this time, the standard winner, Steve ( ZC4LI ),
is not giving much higher serials - I started to think that my score however
could be competetive for one of the top-results!? I wonder, what was the final
scoring of my friend´s Ivo ( 9A3B, aka 9A1A ) attempt( ? ). Any way, there I
decided to go to the finish, not paying attention how and when I would come
back home.

It was interestig to follow the performances of 15 and ( especially ) 10
m-band. I find, trough troposferic propagations we were enabled ( at least ) to
pick up there some multipliers. I would like to thank this way to a great number
of guys that have moved to 15 resp. 10 m, following my QSY requests. Some 10 m
contacts surprisingly succeeded than in the best quality - some of them not.
Usually, a average 1000-km-skip on 10 was to be found from SW Germany. Balkan
stations, for instance, were very strong here. 5-6 QSYs of UR/UA stns have not
fruited with a MPL-QSO on 10 m, but RD3A´s great antenna stack allowed a 2000
km skip at the late sunday afternoon, letting him find the way in my log.

To say the truth, it was much harder to convince some I´s to move ( QSY )
within the low-bands, considering that many of participants are only casual
contester ( CW ) and that many of them have no any antenna for 160 m. :(

As I did a quick analysis of the contest, based on relative comparation that on
monday morning submitted details of the top CW scorers ( 24 hours attempts ),
may eventualy be interesting to know which skips to italian teritory have been
needed for every particular station ( source & thanks to, GoogleEarth ):

Valery, RD3A ( Moscow ): min 2000; max 2700 km
Steve, ZC4LI ( Cyprus ): min 800; max 1900 km ( island )
Alex, RT3T ( Novgorod ): min 2500; max 3200 km
Normuds, ( Riga ) LY5T: min 1400; max 2400 km
Krasimir, ( Sofia ) LZ1GL: min 500; max 1400 km
Suad, DK6XZ ( @DL0MB, Rastatt ): min 350; max 1500 km

All those details helped me to get some better understanding of how the
gathering of QSO-points of other stations would be looking like: I simply
missed the 10-pointers within the QSO structure on high bands. About low bands
situation I already complaned here :)! Extreme much german fellows supported my
attempt on all bands with "0"-point-QSOs. More than 100 dupes make me even think
if our band-data modem worked always properly?!

It is pitty that this reflectors form is not allowing us the insight of the
average QSO-points and the sorting of DXCC and PROV multipliers, so I did in my
submition something on my own ;). Will advise Bruce ( WA7BNM ) here for eventual
change.

Equipment used:
- Kenwood TS-450 + PA
- 160 - Inverted "L"
- 80 - Sloping delta loop ( @30/3 m )
- 40 - Opteabeam OB4-40, 4L @33 m
- 20/15/10 - KLM KT-34, 4L tribander @37 m
- 20/15/10 - Opteabeam OB16-4, 4L 20/15 + 8L 10 @18 m
- WinTest + DXcluster

Sincere congratulations to Valery & other guys on their great scores and thanks
to ARI and all of you for the interesting Sunday.

Will see you on the bands...

73 Suad, DK6XZ

Post Scriptum ( to AA3B commenting ):

In my opinion and knowledge, there is no reason and sense to see the use of
informations given by standard DXclusters ( provided trough local networks
and/or Internet ) as an assistance of team-operators ( MOP ). Since DXclusters
( so far I would keep the right ) are not any more local HAM networks as in
their beginnings, but a building of world-wide connected servers that exchange
all the spot-data and work quasy simultanously, the real-time informations
provided with them are an internationaly open source ( equals Internet ). Say,
it is a commonly accessable data-base as any other file in our logging
software. If we update the file or not, it is up on us...

Many world contest sponsors ( WAEDC, RDXC... ) accepted the mentioned in
similar way and have announced within their rules ( ARI is not explicite in
this matter ) that use of DXclusters is free for single operator class too. If
the rules are not regulating clearly the use of skimmer and/or DXcluster, there
is no reason for contester not to take advantage of those standard technical
tools. Existance of "assisted" and "not assisted" SOP categories is actually
opening only more room for cheating: Many honorable world contesters entering
major contests in "Royal Class" ( SOAB, non-assisted ) are often asking
demselves if realy every of their direct competitors have never used any
"alerting system" trough the 48 hours of "fight" for the top ranking. Everybody
well know that this tool is standard in any better shack and needs only a
"klick" be of incomparable help, even passive ( via bandmap )!?