[3830] WPX CW WI2E SOAB(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, joseph.obrien@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WI2E SOAB(TS) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 19:05:39 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WI2E
Operator(s): WI2E
Station: WI2E

Class: SOAB(TS) HP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 7:00

------------
  160:    0
   80:  102
   40:  210
   20:  160
   15:   11
   10:    0
------------

Club:

Comments:

Well, that certainly was fun.  With a late night of work on Friday, a wedding on
Saturday, and a family birthday party on Sunday, I knew that this wouldn't be
anywhere near a full time effort, but things went so well that I was able to
find seven hours (probably about five more than planned) of radio time. My main
goal was to try out the new K3 under a variety of contest conditions, and as
someone whose has spent most of his contest career in front of either a TS-430S
or a TS-940S, I was simply blown away. Diversity receive gave me better ears
than I thought my marginal antennas (vertical + RX dipole at about 10 feet)
could ever muster, and I was just amazed at how my S&P operation changed for
the better: with the filters drawn tight, QRM just disappeared.  At one point
on Saturday night, NH7O had a truly booming signal on 40M into EPA, but I
noticed a weaker signal from Europe--couldn't make out the callsign--beneath
him. I cut the filter down to 200 Hz, and the rest of the band disappeared with
DL1A leaping to Q5 copy. I could have had the 500 Hz filter in given the sound
quality/lack of ringing.  I have never experienced two seemingly overlapping
signals be separated so cleanly. Anyway, I could go on and on (part of the
reason why I had a hard time leaving the operating chair), and I'm really
looking forward to the IARU when I should have the antenna farm upgraded.
Thanks to everyone for the QSOs!

Rig: K3
Antennas: 43 ft. vertical / RX dipole at 10 feet
Amp: AL-80A at 700W
SW: N1MM

73,

Joe