[3830] WPX CW WX5S(@W6YX) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WX5S(@W6YX) M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 03:44:44 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WX5S
Operator(s): W6RK,N7MH,N6DE,W6LD,KZ2V
Station: W6YX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 45

------------
  160:    1
   80:   87
   40:  709
   20: 1405
   15:  425
   10:   56
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to Matt, WX5S, for the use of his call.  Matt had to sit this one out and
we wish him a speedy recovery from his upcoming surgery.

Nick, KZ2V, a veteran of WPX contests from W6YX in the mid-90's while he was a
student, helped out for several hours on Saturday.  We welcome Nick back and
look forward to his help in our other contesting efforts.

We had 2 operators for only 12 of the 45 hours we were on the air.  I tried to
operate both radios in an SO2R mode for the 28 hours when I was the only
operator.  This was complicated by having a clogged Eustachian tube that
prevented me from hearing with my left ear unless I had both the AF and RF Gain
turned all the way up.  Almost all QSOs on that radio began with a ? since I
could tell someone was calling but often couldn't copy the callsign until I
switched to listening with both ears.  My apologies for all the repeat
requests.

We lost one of the amps on Saturday morning.  This added a new strategy element
as we now had to decide which band needed the remaining amp more.  This added
some band changes that were simply for swapping the amp to the more needy band.
 There were a few times that we weren't heard with the barefoot station but
overall it worked surprisingly well.

The 20 meter conditions were a pleasant surprise.  I spent about an hour and a
half CQing on 10 meters on Sunday.  The band was open across the US and I
worked stations in all US call zones, some with very strong signals, but few
stations went up to 10 so the rate was not great.

-Mike, N7MH