[3830] WPX CW IR4X(IZ3EYZ) SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, iz3eyz@virgilio.it
Subject: [3830] WPX CW IR4X(IZ3EYZ) SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:30:36 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: IR4X
Operator(s): IZ3EYZ
Station: IR4X

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Mt.Capra
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:   16
   80:  124
   40: 1151
   20: 1575
   15:  454
   10:   20
------------

Club:

Comments:

Some thoughts bits and pieces:

-1st and most likely last time I will do ass. in a wpx if SO2R. With no wrtc
qualify and in/out condx wanted to try how it works clicking on clx spots: no
advantage against plain so2r the 1st day, there were just too many mults to
work and some of them which I skipped called me later on. It also happened
random clicking on potential new qsos spotted I found another station cqn on
that qrg which was a mult and/or just a different callsign. Started to get
advantage in the last 6/10 hrs when most of the stuff were worked and low #
Sunday drivers showed up.

-3436 Qs included dupes. Several guys seemed to like me and decided to call in
up to 3/4 times, some others decided to work twice on each band (insurance
qso?) :-)

-Compared to last year I had a bunch of old problems: please understand ER4X is
just a busted call, not even an issued call. Maybe it's time to remove this call
from MASTER.DTA as there 're guys that keep thinking it has to be ER. Honestly
speaking I didn't care much more about the matter, if after two or three times
I repeat you the call you don't get it I let you being happy with ER4X in the
log as I won't lose credit and it's a waste of time for me to keep convincing
guys to trust their ears and not their SCP.
Another busted call is IR3X and a brand new which I saw for the 1st time is
IR7X!

-Totally fuc**d up off times this year. I wish I could go back and swap the
3.45 hrs from 1st day to the 8.15 the 2nd. I missed all the 10/15m Es, the
JA/Asia opening and part of the 10/15m prime time to US.

-Odd to hear guys excited with SFI=68 and R=0 and talking about amazing condx.
Yes, 20m was open around the clock (hey, it's summer time and you will always
hear a few sigs on the band) but IMHO when at 02z 1st night you scan the band
and hear just a bunch of US big guns S-1 to S-3 on the meter and you get
troubles to break their domestic NA qso party....the only thing you would think
about is that band sucks.
Had the worst ever 20m start in wpx with abt 60qs the 1st hour (plus another 30
on the 2nd radio) which compared to the almost 120 from 2008 and 140+ from 2006
are telling what band open means.

-It seems condx were not on this side. Last year got clear advantage working NA
on 15m whole 1st day up to W6/7 and leaving 20m later than others; this year I
felt UA, LY, ES, YL, OH had better nightime openings on 20. It seems with North
Pole into full daylight (and low a/k indexes) they had the spot otherwise being
3000km further West was needed (eg. cu2x). Southern Eu this time wasn't the
place to be. 20m "closed" about one hour earlier both nights (just Sunday
evening was good).

-2nd day was better than 1st on any band and I think the ctest started 24 hrs
too early for me. Got a quick US run direct path on 15m with S-9 sigs on
Sunday. Just a single West C. into the log (AA7A) at noise level. Having 0 on
10m and 41 on 15m after the 1st day I spent all the afternoon running on 15 but
it was too late to catch up on missing Qs. Anyhow I just don't get the reason
the US Multi-ops were no weaker than S-9 and I got abt 10 NA qsos apart from a
short 1hr opening around 13z.
1st day NA sigs were skewed from SA.

-No major faults/troubles during the contest. Just a minor glitch: around
04.30z Sun power went off and 10secs later it came back. This caused 2 desktop
PCs to switch off and while I was rebooting the cluster PC I did run WT with
the WPX CW 2008 log and syncro was on. So the 2008 log was merged with the 2009
one and later had to create a cabrillo, delete all the 2008 qsos, reload the
cabrillo creating a new .wtb file and I had my 2009 log back and clean :-)
Since after the power outage the 2nd radio was deaf and I lost the run qrg I
just worked a bunch of S&Ping stns and then went qrt. I had in mind to keep
running on 40 till 05z and was almost ready to move the 2nd radio on 20 when
shit happened. Thus also missed the famous West C. Sunday morning opening.
Found the problem about 20mins later and things were fixed but it was too late
to come back on.

-Almost no qrg fights with Europeans but got a bunch of NA guys trying to steal
the freq on both 20 and 40m. The only successful one was KC5FU whom put the word
"end" to my 20m run the 2nd night. He stopped by 30mins earlier and tried to
steal it but he couldn't, then he came back and started his domestic qso party.
Hope he enjoyed 31.7 ;-)

-Solved a couple of handicaps I had in 2008 but really missed the 2nd ant on 15
and 20m which was damaged due to winter storm. I had to live with a single yagi
which I pointed North most of the time to cover as much as possible stuff from
West, East, North and South.

-Result is well above the planned final score but it's just cos of the 2nd
night opening to NA which brought qs/p ratio over 4 on 40m. With proper off
time management result could be between 10-10.5M
I can count the cluster boost being about 30/40 mults, so maybe the unassisted
score could have been somewhere between 9 and 9.5M under perfect strategy.

Generally speaking the number of mults and stn to work is getting bigger and
bigger in both WPXs, I guess when condx come back for real records will be
broken once again although lots of them falled down this year. On this side I
think limits are reached and under such condx I don't think I can go further on
with Qs nr. Without the missing 2nd ant, which helps a lot with high takeoff
angles as well, I would estimate 200Qs more could have been possible, but
definitely no way to get 4K qsos. You need to be at the edge of Europe
otherwise strong Es is needed to keep up the rate.
Under fair condx which might be reasonable to say even yr 2005,2006 ones
without moving back to yr 2000,2001 there 're good chances to get close to
3800-4000Qs enjoying 15m openings.

ATM it's odd to compete against CU2X whom can always run on a higher band. I
guess 4100+ Qs and almost 1100 mults speak by themselves and if it's a 3/6
point location he could well beat EA8, 3V, CT3, CN, D4.

dit dit

Matt.EYZ