[3830] AlQP W4LEE M/MMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx4tm@tm-moore.com
Subject: [3830] AlQP W4LEE M/MMixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 13:28:26 -0700
                    Alabama QSO Party

Call: W4LEE
Operator(s): WX4MM, KJ4UNA, KI4ERR, KI4YZY, KE4UNA, WX4TM
Station: W4LEE

Class: M/MMixed LP
QTH: LEE CO
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:   32     12
   40:  128    163
   20:   16    436
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  176    611  CW Mults = 36  Ph Mults = 53  Total Score = 85,707

Club:

Comments:

It would appear we beat last yearâ??s score by approx 2K pts.  Last year, we had
17 ops of which only one was CW experienced, producing 314 Qâ??s w/42 multis.
Phone had 321 Qâ??s with 46 Multis.  This year our CW op had committed to other
plans so that left us with a problem on how to fill the void. How would we
possibly be able to equal or beat last yearâ??s score?

Anybody ever heard how OLE MEN will favor giving a QSO to a YL?  Being married
to a HAM YL for 44 yrs, Iâ??ve heard it many many times.  So we came up with a
plan, a secret weapon of sorts,  letâ??s have a YL Phone team and challenge
them to get 600 Qâ??s!

This YL team was lead by Mary Moore WX4MM with over 30 yrs as a HAM and lots of
experience;  assisted by Connie Beckwith KJ4UNA who just got her General License
and had  less than an hour experience operating on HF; Debra Ward KI4YZY, a
Technician Class Ham who had minimal experience operating in a couple of Field
Day events; and Deedie Matthews KI4ERR, a Technician Class Ham who had never
listened to, much less keyed, an HF radio.

What this team did was super incredible.  With only one experienced HAM in the
group, these gals racked up 612 QSOâ??s in 11 solid hours of â??go getâ??em
attitudeâ??.  They were hawking Qâ??s right down to the very last second! It
was amazing to watch and listen to them.  They were truly having one heck of a
good time. We are all indeed very proud of them. Not only did they get 612
Qâ??s but they got 53 multiâ??s missing only WY and some VE provinces.

Now the same canâ??t be said for our CW effort.  We were without any
experienced CW contest op.  But we knew we had to contribute â??someâ?? CW
effort to equal last yearâ??s total score.  So Jeffrey Wallace KE4UNA and I bit
the bullet and gave it our best shot getting 177 Qâ??s and 36 Multiâ??s.  We
felt like fish out of water â?? no, we were fish out of water!  It was tough,
very tough going and we ask you to please excuse all the delays and repeats we
asked for.  No doubt about it, we are very novice CW contest ops.  That said,
weâ??re also proud of our little accomplishment.  It was just enough to put our
total score about 2K points above last yearâ??s score (assuming all the logs
hold up, of course).

No Club effort is complete without its support group.  These included Hal
Cummings KJ4TD, Tom Burkhart KE4KWE, Donnie Ward KI4TXI, Ed Culpeper N4MZR,
Dana Persells KJ4IBB, and Steve Nelson KJ4KPT.

And, of course, a big thanks to all who gave us QSO's, especially those who had
patience with us while we stumbled with our CW effort.

Another AQP in the books.  We had a great time planning, setting up for, and
participating in the AQP.

Tom WX4TM
AQP Chairman
East Alabama ARC, W4LEE