[3830] ARRL June VHF KM7W(KL9A) Single Op Port LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KM7W(KL9A) Single Op Port LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:32:38 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  284    99  Total Score = 28,116

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Always wanted to activate a rare one.  DN67 is plenty rare, had a state park
campground, a giant reservoir (FISHING), and power available at the campsite.
It was even easy to talk my wife into the 9 hour drive and a weekend of
listening to me on the radio!

Before the contest I only worked a few guys, most notably a FL station.  I had
high hopes for the contest.

K0KP/b and N0LL/b were in just about 24 hours a day the entire trip.  At one
point K0KP/b was a solid S7 and I CQ'd my brains out, but everyone must have
been asleep.

A total of 23 q's the ENTIRE first day of the contest.  Not for lack of trying!
 I sat in the chair the entire contest, except for a few hours to sleep about
midnight to 4am.  Probably heard 50 different stations on MS.  A few of them
got my call, but we just weren't quick enough to get the Q.

Woke up at 4am to a loud K9NS CQing on 50.125.  About 30 minutes later he went
in the log.  The band popped to W9 a few hours later, and it was off to the
races.  Worked a single W1 (K1TOL) and only 2 people in FN grids.  Again, not
for lack of trying!  Never got anything past a single hop otherwise.

Lots of fun, just wish the band had been better for me out in the sticks.  I
could hear the Seattle area guys running the heck out of W1/2/3 on Sunday.  Try
as I might, it just wasn't gonna work for me 750 miles farther east.  Never got
a good opening into the LA area either.  I was hoping for some big runz to get
the QSO total up!  I heard an XE in DM30 for about 8 seconds also.

50.125 is used wayyyyyyy too much.

Nice to work N0QXW/R!  I never thought I'd work DN66.  Hopefully he gave out
some rare ones to everyone.

This VHF stuff is cool, just wish I would have taken 2m with me.  Thanks for
the Q's!  QSL via AC7DX.

-Chris KL9A

FT897 and 6M5X at 30 feet