[3830] ARRL June VHF K9GY Limited Rover QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9gy@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K9GY Limited Rover QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:46:46 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  50     31  Total Score = 1,829

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Looked at rules to determine that I could submit two logs for the club: K9GY
from home QTH and K9GY/rover. Saturday had limited time so made five 6m Qs from
home QTH (EN61fn). Early Sunday morning my sailing plans got cancelled (T-10
racing on Lake Michigan)... so I was off on a limited rover adventure!

Idea was to hit the grid cornered by EN50,51,60,61...

So started out in Munster, Indiana (EN61fm) at the landfill turned into a
recreation facility...had some nice height above ground level... made 30 Qs
(25-6/2, 5-432). Had a nice lunch with the XYL at the restaurant there. She
brought me a sun shade and a small table which helped very much!

Then off to Central High School near Clifton, IL (EN60ax). I saw the school
from I-57 expressway and liked the chain link fence for supporting fiberglass
poles. Made 14 Qs (12-6/2, 2-432).

Next stop seemmed like the middle of nowhere (EN50xw). Stopped by the side of
the road where there was enough clearing to park the vehicle and setup the
table etc. Farm country now boys...Yee-haw! Ended up being about 50 miles south
of Interstate 80. Things were starting to come apart a little bit and conditions
were so so... Made 6 Q's (4-6/2, 2-432).

Wanted to activate EN51 but it was getting late in the day, tomorrow was a work
day, and sun was beginning to set... Found out on Monday I was less than 10
miles from EN51...so I get the DUH award for not activating it!

A little over 150 miles driven (BMW X3 still in warranty...duh!) and really
only 20 Qs to show for it. The first 30 Qs were within 5 miles of my home QTH.
So although it was fun and great to hand out the grids etc the Qs per mile
driven was rather poor. Probably do a VHF rover again just becuase it was
different. This was really my first time doing a rover in IL. Did some QRP
portable stuff from Shenandoah N.P. (Virginia) back a couple years ago but that
was at 3k+ elevation. IL is a little too flat for QRP work, hah!

Funniest moment was when I was calling someone and said "K9GY/rover over"...
was funny...good name for a magazine or something... rover over...

Yaseu FT-817
6m dipole
4L Arrow 2m beam
3L Arrow 432 beam