[3830] ARRL June VHF N1LF/R Unlimited Rover HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N1LF/R Unlimited Rover HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:20:25 -0700

  3.4:    1     1
  5.7:    1     1
  10G:    1     1
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  222   102  Total Score = 26,316

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

My first ever rove was quite an experience! Sunday night found me hot, sweaty,
exhausted, and covered in bug bites. It also found me eager to do it all over
again.

I need to thank some folks, Bill Caps, AF4OD & Jimmy Long, W4ZRZ for the loan
of their microwave equipment for the effort. Marcus Thomas, KF4YHP for coming
up with a great trailer hitch mounted push up mast, and saving the day when I
ran short of connectors.

And mostly, my wife Abby Rayburn, who solved a number of engineering problems
prior to the contest, and did most of the driving. It takes a special woman to
put up with as something as strange as roving!

Big thrills were working K5QE on 2 Meters and 222 after nearly a year and a
half of trying. What a difference having the antennas outdoors makes! Another
highlight was making my first ever contacts on 3,5, & 10ghz! For years, I've
looked at photos of those "nuts" on the hills lugging around microwave dishes.
Now I am one!

Lots of problems with my set up, including some bad cables that limited my
abilities on 1.2ghz, and 432. Things should be much improved before September
or even July.

Six Meters was wide open on Saturday, until well after dark...and had shorter
openings on Sunday, but some nice ones there too. We had some tropo enhancement
on Sunday night too.

Another highlight was activating EM61 briefly, and giving it out to some folks
who need cards from there. So many rovers have done the same for me in the past
(namely Bill Capps, AF4OD) that it felt great to be able to return the favor.

RF played havoc with the in-dash GPS and car computer...causing me get lost in
Montgomery briefly. Other than that, the Dodge Ram 1500 worked out great.

Picked up five new grids on 2M, 4 on 222, and a couple on 432. Could have done
much better if I'd handled my end of the engineering. Next time for sure.
Thanks to everyone for the assistance, encouragement, and equipment loans. Just
picked up a transverter for 902, so no more FM for me on that band.