[3830] All Asian CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] All Asian CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 07:35:37 -0700
                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Mazotos
Operating Time (hrs): 38

  160:    0     0
   80:  101    31
   40:  332    45
   20:  772    67
   15:  339    50
   10:  201    42
-------------------
Total: 1745   235  Total Score = 1,257,955

Club: CHILTERN DX CLUB.

Comments:

A contest at the time of our summer solstace and at sunspot minima is never
going to provide us with the best of conditions, with daytime absorbtion on the
high bands and static on the low bands,  but we have what we have and we try to
make the best of it.

I just love reading the comments we see posted here and compare things as I
experienced them. For instance there was a post of a late evening opening on
10mtrs on west coast usa. I am pretty sure that didn't happen here. What we did
get on both 10/15 was early morning openings which lasted until around mid day.
There were further brief openings in the afternoon on Saturday but nothing
after noon on Sunday. Saturday was far the better of the two days but my log
shows pretty well all contacts on those bands was sporadic type activity
although I did make a couple of isolated contacts with USA on 15. We didn't get
the evening opening to SA on those bands which often happens. I did hear N8OO &
K4EA cq'ing and working ja's at around 23z on 15 Sunday evening with nothing
else on the band and nobody came back to a few cq calls that I made. Not one
Carribean stn was heard on any band, maybe they find Asia just too difficult!

K6CSL makes a good point about a shortage of dx stns working above 025. I did
make an occaisional effort to do that but let me give a possible reason for
this contest anyway.

As a low power station, which applies to dx stations too, in a normal type
event we have the high power guys occupying the lower 30/50 khz of the band so
we don't get heard and we operate at the high ends. In this contest, where only
Asia can be worked, guys find that prolonged cq'ing is not very productive, this
is a S&P mission if you want to do well. With few big gun cq'ers around we get
plenty of room to choose a spot. Knowing that when guys do a S&P sweep they
start at the bottom and work up we try to get in the bottom 10 khz or so to
catch them before they get bored or shoot off to a new packet spot!
In addition it should also be realised that there are many, many guys outside
USA who either don't know, or forget, about  the restricted class 'above 025'
rule. Maybe that rule could be suspended for contests, on the other hand some
will say that is why the rule is there and an incentive to upgrade.

I have done quite a few contests in recent weeks and the pattern has been
pretty much the same with dx hard to find and work. I haven't heard vk/zl in a
long time. Some of the JA boys are incredibly loud and audible almost the whole
48 hrs of the event. Otherwise activity from far east is pretty dismal. Some BY
and JT boys were also strong but seemed to have 'no ears', maybe they have
local noise problems!

20mtrs again was the money band but absorbtion can be frustrating during
daytime.

40 & 80 conditions were mixed, Saturday was far better, Sunday had very high
static problems, in fact I had to leave a pile on 80mtrs last night, as I
realised that I was going to have a great number of 'busts'

I had hoped to do 40 hours but I just couldn't hack it, getting too old I
guess,
some of those hours I put in on Sunday were wasted, after a 2 hour unplanned
sleep I felt, and performed much better. I had a target of 1M points, it was a
great feeling to hit that mark at 16.30z Sunday with a mlt from EA9. Whilst
'Cluster' was allowed for all classes in this contest I am a stubborn old goat
and still like to do these things the old way, Ok I may be missing out on mlt's
but I am finding my own and working more stn's in time I would be wasting in
pileups (way down the pecking oreder as an LP op) and, moreover, it gives me
greater satisfaction.

Thanks guys for your calls and your company, I look forward to many more
meetings on the bands.

Eqpm't - TS570 - 100w. 3 ele tribander up 50'.
Logging with SD.

73  Brian 5B4AIZ  (C4Z).