[3830] WPX CW OG8X(OH6UM) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, oh6um@sral.fi
Subject: [3830] WPX CW OG8X(OH6UM) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 02:57:49 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: OG8X
Operator(s): OH6UM
Station: OH8X

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Arkala
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:   47
   80:  246
   40:  661
   20: 1592
   15:  415
   10:  270
------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

This was my very first WPX CW SOAB experience.  I really enjoyed it.  It was
even more fun than I had imagined.  I even had some moments when I thought I
was running SO2R pretty smoothly - according to my own standards that is. :)

15 and 10 were pretty well open to Europe on both days.  But as tempting as the
nice EU runs would have been, I still tried to keep myself focused on the
band(s) producing more DX, mainly being 20m.  Well, I admit I lost my control a
couple of times. :)   The low bands were much as expected with almost 24 hours
of daylight, although I had hoped for better DX runs on 40m.

I did have my moments of frustration, too.  It had been pretty windy for a
couple of days on the Arkala area, and on Sunday at 1249z it finally hit me.
The electricity cut!  Just when I had started a nice 20m DX run both to the
east and west. :(   Fortunately enough, I still had a few rest hours unused,
and now they came very handy.  But for how long would it take...  Gladly I was
lucky.  After only some 20 minutes the electricity came back and stayed on, and
I had to use only one hour of my remaining rest time.  Some looong minutes they
were...

I managed to work some Asian DX's both on 15 and 10, which was a bit
unexpected.  On late Sunday afternoon, quite soon after the frustrating
electricity cut, I suddenly logged a few JA's on 15 with nice signals.  For a
moment I thought that "the skies had opened to me", but unfortunately it all
ended as soon as it had begun. :(  No better luck with NA either.  Managed to
only S&P some east coast big guns on 15, plus a KH7 and some occasional SA
stations later in the evening.

Somewhat surprisingly, I finally met my own goals almost 100,0%.  I topped my
target score by less than ten 20m DX qsos.  I also believe to have claimed a
new OH record with rather safe margin.

Many thanks to the whole Arkala team and especially to my "old elmer" Veijo
OH6KN for all the preparations done for this "emigrant southener" during the
busy preceding weeks.

73 es cu in the pileups!  CW IS!

de Pasi OH6UM/OH2IW