[3830] NCCC Sprint N3BB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3bb@mindspring.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint N3BB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:07:22 -0700
                    NCCC Sprint - June 26

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Austin
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   0      0
   80:   0      0
   40:  31     19
   20:  19     16
   15:   0      0
   10:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  50     35  Total Score = 1,750

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Things are not going well here. It was 106F degrees in Austin today. Another
all-time record, the third day in a row. A fourth will be set tomorrow. Wow.

I did the NS on two bands, as the 80 meter antenna is completely inoperative.
It's going to take a lot of work to get it going again. The feedline is not
"feeding." It must have been a lighting hit while we were away. The StackMatch
is not "StackMatching" either. Will check it out further tomorrow but no
obvious visible damage at this point. It's like nothing is working. One of the
three sloping dipoles is not "dipoling" either. It's like a situation from the
StrangeZone.

If that weren't enough, I am very disappointed to note the line noise appeared
today about mid afternoon. It is S9 on all bands. So I now have to track that
down. I used the noise blankers on the FT1000MP and sort of could hear most
people who called but obviously it is not satisfactory.

There seemed to be a lot of activity on all bands, and 80 was very active. I
listened there on the beverages for a bit. 40 meters was very good but was
long. It was good to hear N9NB from Virginia with a nice signal on 40. 20
meters stayed open with weak signals from the west coast. It was open the
entire NS here, but the noise made the weak signals hard to copy. I probably
was an alligator.

The no-dupes rule makes, at least for me, a much more interesting and enjoyable
NS. Only one station called me as a dupe and I had to send the QSO before
message. The mult totals were surprisingly good, especially since I had to stay
on 20 and 40 the entire time.

All in all, it is so discouraging for me right now with things now working
right here.

Jim