[3830] NCCC Sprint K6VVA LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, b38@hilding.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K6VVA LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:44:53 -0700
                    NCCC Sprint - June 26

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Locust Peak (Remote)
Operating Time (hrs): .5
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:   2      1
   40:  17     15
   20:  20     15
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  39     31  Total Score = 1,209

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I Broke Rule #1: Do NOT make major changes just before a Contest.

Exception to Rule #1: You just might GET LUCKY :^)

In my case, when the regular remote TS-480 connectivity went belly up at least
4 times until a total QRT (which cost me Q's and a loss of precious operating
minutes), just before the NS started I had fortuitously rushed to jury-rig a
Rube-Goldberg form of REMOTE SO2R involving a 2nd TS-480 now on Locust Peak
used to test the soon-to-be-implement dual Remote Rig system that *should*
eliminate many of my remote headaches.  Miraculously, I had previously
connected a CW keyline cable from the remote WKUSB to the 2nd test TS-480 on
the mountain the other day which proved to be a Godsend tonight.

With the clocl ticking toward 0230 UTC, I hastily ripped my DXD out of the
regular home station, located the extra Ethernet switch, but found myself in
need of an extra CAT5 cable.  It was panic city just before 0230 UTC until I
remembered seeing one in the stacks of stuff on the back patio, and retrieved
it to patch things together.  All this amidst a plethora of other current
project cables, notes and stuff that had the kitchen table in a total mess to
being with.  The DXD would be for audio only, with actual CW keying to both
remote radios via TR4W & the WKUSB connected to the remote Confuzer.

Having not had my home SO2R station functional with 2 radios for a year or
more, the initial attempt to use two radios remotely with two different control
systems tonight left me like a proverbail deer-in-the-headlights from the start,
and then came the Radio #1 dump-outs.

Apologies NO5W, N3DXX, WD0T and others when radio #1 connectivity kept taking a
dump.  After the NS, I realized I forgot about the no dupes venue tonight, so
had reduce the 41 QSO total to 39.  Fortunately, I lost no mults. Although I
only had 40m & 80m antennas connected to Radio 2, that's what kept me at least
hobbling along for the rest of the NS Ballgame.

In spite of complete operator ineffectivenss, tonight was a new Milestone in
that I actually achieved (albeit iin a bizarre form) implentation of REMOTE
SO2R.  Soooooooo much more to be done, including operator re-training and
Practice-Practice-Practive (N6RO-ism).

Thank God this was NOT an NSL night !!!

73 & Tnx for the Q's & Mults...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust