[3830] ARRL FD W4ZV 1B QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, btippett@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD W4ZV 1B QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 10:39:20 -0700

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  107     0       0  Total Score = 1,270

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My XYL was participating in a singing event this afternoon so I made a hasty
decision to pack up my QRP K2 and head for the top of Morrow Mountain (NC
State Park).  After several misfires with my slingshot (out of practice) I
got my Par EndFedz-20/40 installed in a tree over a picnic table.  Connected
my 7AH SLA battery to the K2 and turned it on.  Nothing!  Are the conditions
that bad?  Went to 40 and it sounded the same.

I hadn't used the EndFedz in several years after removing it from a
semi-permanent installation at a mountain cabin.  Apparently I must have had
a nearby lightning strike sometime which blew out the sealed matching unit.
Fortunately I had my Emtech ZM-2 tuner which loaded the wire from the
EndFedz (no radials).  I set the K2 to 5 Watts on 20m and was finally ready
to go.

I made my first QSO at 1846z and operated ~3 hours, mostly S&P on 20m but
also a few on 15 and 40.  Made 107 total QSOs including KH7 and KP3 with the
last one at 2201z when it was time to pack up and head for home.  If you
worked me, you can congratulate yourself on your good ears.  I was frankly
amazed anyone could hear me with QRP to that band-aided antenna!

After almost 52 years on the air I'm still thrilled with this hobby.  It's
just amazing that we can communicate across the country with 5 watts to a
piece of wire.  What fun!!!  And thanks to Elecraft for the K2...the ideal
Field Day QRP rig.

73,  Bill  W4ZV