[3830] ARRL FD K9MMS 1D LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K9MMS@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K9MMS 1D LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:30:43 -0700

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  140     0       0  Total Score = 496

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Single band -- 80 CW.  TS-940S and inverted V dipole.  140 total QSOs, but score
reduction due to working 16 class D stations -- net 124 countable QSOs.

K0DXC (my grandson, Cal) and I went to the local club FD site (near my QTH in
Illinois) around 8:30 PM after a thunderstorm delay on Saturday.  (Cal arrived
after supper time.)  Much to our dismay, we found that the 40 meter CW station
had been completely torn down and removed -- unbelievable.  I've never known a
club to not give preference to 40 CW on FD.  As the old saying goes, there's no
meters like 40 meters for FD.  (We had reserved 40 CW operating times for
Saturday night.)  So, after looking around the FD site in the rain, we went
back to my house to get some FD operating time.

I let Cal start operating right away -- on 20 and 40 meters.  Then, I dug out
the old TS-940S and an old PC and set things up from scratch (loading logging
program, setting up config file, connecting BP filter, etc.)  After a few
"Murphy" problems, I finally got on 80 CW for a bit while Cal kept going on 20
and 40 CW.  I sure missed not having DSP receiver filtering operating on 80
with the old TS-940S.  It was rough copy on some of the 80 meter signals, but
it was fun to get in some FD op time.  We need a much better plan for next
year.