[3830] IARU KH7XS(K4XS) SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: [3830] IARU KH7XS(K4XS) SO SSB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:54:34 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: KH7XS
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: KH7XS

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: Luapahoehoe, HI
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:            4     4       0
   80:           53    16       6
   40:          639    29      16
   20:         1298    43      41
   15:          300    20      14
   10:            9     4       2
-------------------------------------
Total:   0     2303   116      79  Total Score = 2,154,945

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

This contest is fun, it's like a longer version of the NA Sprint.  It's not a 48
hour marathon where only the supermen can make it without any sleep.  24 hours
without sleep is something an old fart like me can do.

At the beginning of the contest, I knew condx were crappy and after about 4-5
hours into the contest I was already 350 QSOs behind last year's score.  Condx
improved over the 24 hours and were OK by the end, but I only caught up to 250
QSOs less than last year, despite some awesome runs on 40 and 20.  Result: the
score has about 20 more mults and 250 less QSOs than last year.  However, the
score is within 25K of last years score.  The increase in mults was a result of
having a couple of HQ stations close by and increased S/P due to the poor runs
in the first part of the test.  W1AW/KL7 and NU1AW/KL7 were worked on 5 bands.

One of the highlights of the contest was to be called by a couple of EUs (RSGB
and F6BEE on a 15 meter band that was marginally open to only the states and
South America.  More stations to check for band openings on the marginally open
15 and 10 meter bands during contests.  Openings don't work unless there are at
least two stations.

The SSTV police were out in force and have claimed 14227 as their own and was
promised by one dummy that he was going ot turn his beam around and
intentionally QRM me no matter where I went.  Fortunately his level of tenacity
matched his IQ level.  On a similar note KZ8O was out in full force on 14275
doing his thing late into the night.

See you all in a couple of weeks in my first serious attempt in the IOTA test.