[3830] IARU N4KG SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4KG@AOL.com
Subject: [3830] IARU N4KG SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:10:21 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 0

  160:   0      0      0        0
   80:   0      0      0        0
   40:   0      0      0        0
   20:   0      0      0        0
   15:   0      0      0        0
   10:   0      0      0        0
-------------------------------------
Total:   0      0      0        0  Total Score = 1

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

I did not participate in this year's IARU contest for a number of reasons,
primarily that I had a conflict but also because I find it discouraging to
compete from a Highly Populated Zone (8) where I receive only ONE point per QSO
with my own Zone but entrants from other nearby zones receive THREE points per
QSO for contacts in my Zone.

I agree with N4OGW's comment that contacts within the Same Country Should all
Count the Same.  N4OGW also lives in Zone 8, less than 100 miles from the
dividing line with Zone 7.  He noted that if he lived in Zone 7 all of his Zone
8 QSO's would have been worth 3 Times as many points and his overall score would
have been 13% higher.  Living in the SW Corner of Zone 8 puts us at an even
greater disadvantage compared with the residents of W1,2,3 who are One
Propagation Skip closer to the 5 point QSO's in Europe.  WHY BOTHER?

Am I becoming too Old and Jaded?
Or is this scoring Bias something that should be addressed
and hopefully changed?  I expect a similar argument could
be made for Europe as well.

Secondly, why are HQ stations (mostly in EU) scored as only ONE point
when everyone else in their home country counts at 5 points from outside their
continent and 3 points from outside their zone but within the same continent.
It seems to me that 3 points would be a better 'compromise'.

Just my thoughts on WHY I find it hard to take this contest seriously.

Tom  N4KG in North Alabama