[3830] IARU NU1AW/KH6(@KH6YY/KH6LC) Headquarters HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU NU1AW/KH6(@KH6YY/KH6LC) Headquarters HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:48:39 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: NU1AW/KH6
Operator(s): KH6ND KH6LC KH7U AH6RE AH6NF N6KB NH6XO KH7Y NH6V
Station: KH6YY/KH6LC

Class: Headquarters HP
QTH: Hawaii
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:     7      2     3        2
   80:   371     42    26       13
   40:   698    686    42       27
   20:  1388   1163    48       58
   15:   288    299    26       14
   10:     0    132     8        4
-------------------------------------
Total:  2752   2324   153      118  Total Score = 6,579,880

Club:

Comments:

When NN1N at ARRL contacted me shortly after this year's Dayton convention and
asked if we had any interest in activating NU1AW during this, the 50th year
anniversary of Alaska and Hawaii becoming the 49th and 50th states of the USA,
I had a big smile on my face for the rest of the day.  I immediately called
Alex, KH6YY, the owner of the contest station on Oahuâ??s North shore, and
received a very positive response from him as well; Alex was 100% in favor of
doing this... game on!

During the ensuing busy weeks, I contacted Lloyd, KH6LC on the Big Island of
Hawaii to ask if he and his gang would be interested in putting his fine
station on the air for IARU 2009 to join us on Oahu in this effort... he was
all for it as well.  Thank you, KH6LC and company!

For various logistical reasons, we agreed to do all of the SSB from KH6YY on
Oahu, with the exception of 80m, where we would do the CW, and KH6LC would do
all the CW, except for SSB on 80.

One of the obstacles we faced along the way was the fact that at KH6YY we use
Writelog, and at KH6LC the N1MM logger is used.  We decided that we could sort
out combining the logs after the contest without too much trouble (right!), but
as a means of being able to keep tabs on how our individual efforts were
progressing during the contest, I contacted Gerry, W1VE, the creator of
www.getscores.org to see if we could work out a way to have our scores show up
in real time on his web page, even though we would be posting under the same
call sign.  Gerry spent a considerable amount of time working with me in the
weeks leading up to the contest, burning the midnight oil day after day to make
this happen... thank you, W1VE!

The first 12 hours were extremely discouraging for us here on Oahu, the second
half was exceptional, with over 2/3 of our contacts made during the last 12
hours. I have never seen anything like this before... a phenomenal
turn-around.

Heartfelt thanks to Alex, KH6YY, who was unable to join us due to an extended
business trip, but as always, allowed us to invade his QTH for the weekend
anyway.

And a very big thank you to NN1N, K1ZZ, and ARRL for allowing us to be a part
of something we will all, always remember.

ALOHA!

Mike
KH6ND