[3830] NAQP RTTY W5KFT(K5PI) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rb@austin.rr.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY W5KFT(K5PI) Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:24:08 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: W5KFT
Operator(s): K5PI
Station: W5KFT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

   80:   65    30
   40:  167    40
   20:  208    46
   15:   84    25
   10:    3     3
-------------------
Total:  527   145  Total Score = 76,415

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: SWACC #1

Comments:

I'm a diehard TR user for SO2R CW, but wanted to check out N1MM's SO2R
implementation so decided to do NAQP RTTY.

It took me quite a while to set up a four serial port machine and get it
working smoothing with K3, TS-850, and DXP-38 and FSK interface for N1MM.  I'd
hoped to be QRV for the practice Friday night but no such luck.

I did get to get a little practice with the program Saturday morning and felt
ready to go.  But I guess I hadn't reckoned with the PC resource needs of N1MM
plus MMTTY.  My 1.6 GHz/256MB W98 machine hesitated . . . and then caught up
and . . . then . . . hesitated again.  And then MMTTY crashed.  And then it
crashed again, and again and again.  I felt like I was working three radios,
watching for error messages and trying not to get too far ahead of the machine.
 I could almost always close and reopen the digital interface window to get
MMTTY restarted.  But after a dozen times or so, it because clear it wasn't
always releasing resources and I started getting Windows error messages -- or
N1MM would lock up -- or the computer would lock up.  And of course this was
while I was in the middle of a QSO.  :-)

So sorry for all the fits and starts and being AWOL after answering your CQ!

Conditions were a big letdown after IARU.  I kept popping up to 10M and got
excited when I worked a casual op in Wisconsin.  But I couldn't ever generate
any other action.

Let's hope for better conditions for CW and SSB.