[3830] NAQP RTTY VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 02:41:51 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 8.5

   80:   39    20
   40:  120    42
   20:  160    43
   15:   38    16
   10:
-------------------
Total:  357   121  Total Score = 43,197

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Team: Aurora Busters

Comments:

Who ever would have guessed solar flux would be 66 on the same weekend, three
years in a row?

2009: Flux: 66  | Ap:  0  | Kp: 0
2008: Flux: 66  | Ap:  2  | Kp: 1
2007: Flux: 66  | Ap: 16  | Kp: 3

Whew. Tough contest. Took more time off than I should have, but 20M was rotten
around noon Pacific, and 15M wasn't very open, so I took 2.5 hours off. Got
back on for most of the remainder.

When I was done at 11 p.m. local I learned from the local news that a major
forest fire is burning in and around the city across the lake... 10,000 people
evacuated. Yikes. Shades of the notorious 2003 wildfire in the Okanagan. It's 2
a.m. local and things are flaring away, fire spreading fast. Smoke getting
really thick in the air, and strong smell of the fire even here in the shack.

This year's NAQP was better than the previous two years, but only marginally.
Nothing on 10M, and 15M was weak. The SteppIr 3-element played well on 20M once
the band tightened up a bit in late afternoon, but the drop in activity was
noticeable when folks fled for 40M while the sun was still high in the sky out
west here.

The 40M dipole did a great job -- better than the half-squares did last year,
and close to my best-ever 40M performance in 2007, despite the dipole being
only 27' in the air (tower left cranked down due to 50km/h gusts today... not
good for big wildfires or little towers).

80M was really bad until the final hour, so I spent more time on 40M than
planned. Last half hour of the contest saw 80M a bit stronger, but it never did
behave as well as it has recently. QSO count down but mults were good enough.
Get kinda spoiled running high power on 80M, and I was surprised at who heard
me with 100W tonight. Gotta love those twin 67' wire verticals and Christman
phasing.

Real-time scoring was fun to watch with Ed VE4EAR sticking close -- and leaping
ahead when I took my extended break. I know Ed wasn't running a KW on 40M but he
was one of the loudest stations I heard on that band tonight. Was secretly
hoping for massive openings on 6M for him, but am glad he got to play RTTY for
more hours instead. The Aurora Busters (VE4EAR, VY2SS, VA1CHP, VE6YR and VA7ST)
benefitted from the scarce VHF openings.

Lots of new-to-me calls in this one -- great stuff! A few 'really' new ops will
soon learn not to send an exchange before being acknowledged. Happened many
times and almost every time the errant caller drowned out other stations under
him who were trying to get through. I told a few guys "please wait for ack
before sending your exchange." I felt better, anyway.

Final few minutes were great fun, with K5CM in OK, KD7MSC in OR and then WA7YAZ
in UT back-to-back for new mults on 80M before the bell rang.

73 and thanks for the contacts!

-- Bud.

http://www3.telus.net/va7st

Year-over-year stats...

                 July 2006    July 2007   July 2008    July 2009
        Band    QSOs   Sec    QSOs   Sec   QSOs  Sec   QSOs  Sec
         3.5      65    27      50    12     50   19     39   20
           7     110    38     113    41    104   41    120   42
          14     115    38     172    44    133   43    160   43
          21      74    30      14     6     24   10     38   16
          28      54    20       1     1      1    1      0    0
       Total     418   153     350   104    312  114    357  121

      Score :       63,954        36,400      35,568      43,197