[3830] CQWW VHF K1LT SOSB/6 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K1LT SOSB/6 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 14:15:48 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOSB/6 LP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 3

    6:  28     16
    2:
-------------------
Total:  28     16  Total Score = 448

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This was my first venture into VHF contesting.  I have an FT736 that I
used back in my packet network and repeater building days on FM that
has since been gathering dust.  So I bought a 3 element 6 meter yagi
and expected to find one of several 11 element 2 meter yagis from the
FM days out in the barn, and throw both antennas on a few spare tower
sections.

When digging the tower sections out of the clutter in the barn, I did
not find any intact 2 meter beams.  So, I went ahead and put together
a 6 meter antenna, mini-tower and rotor and finished about an hour
before the start of the test.  The 6 meter beam wound up about 28 feet
off the ground.  I could hear VO2FUN/B, so I thought I was in good
shape.

At the beginning of the contest I promptly worked K8MFO and K8CC.  I
could hear Don and Dave working other Michigan and northern Ohio
stations, but they were in the noise to me.  I worked two other ground
wave stations that evening and no more.

The next morning around 1426Z I heard and then worked VE1SKY in FN74.
Then the band seemed to open to New England for a couple hours.  The
VE1s disappeared during this time.  Early on, I worked WA4PGM
(finally, a familiar call besides the MRRC dudes) and he sent FM72,
which seemed odd, and then I heard him sign VP9/WA4PGM.  So, woo-hoo!
My 6 meter DXCC is 3% complete!

The noise level on 6 here is awful!  Connecting the antenna sounds
worse than connecting the 160 meter transmit vertical to the receiver!
I don't know whats up with that, as I haven't noticed so much noise on
15 or 10 meters at other times (but on verticals).

Didn't hear anything from the southwest at all.  I heard a few of the
louder New Englander stations working 9s and 0s, but maybe that is
their equivalent to VE1s and VP9s from here.

I need to put the tower up in some semi-permanent fashion, and maybe
find another section or two of the smaller sized 8 foot aluminum tower
sections.  Currently the tower is just lashed to the side of the house
with rope.

See y'all in the next one.