[3830] CQWW VHF K2DRH SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2drh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K2DRH SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 20:33:32 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K2DRH
Operator(s): K2DRH
Station: K2DRH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: EN41 IL
Operating Time (hrs): 21

    6:  307   102
    2:  188    56
-------------------
Total:  495   158  Total Score = 107,914

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

After another round of fighting with the equipment and somehow getting it all
ready in time, another CQWW VHF is over.  Unfortunately there is nothing much
to write about this time.  There were no exceptional openings on 6M, in fact
there were no openings on Saturday at all here.  With the unseasonably cool
weather 2M tropo was flat and the signals were mostly weak and subject to lots
of slow, deep fading.   After a couple of hours of not much prop, local
activity dwindled, so I did something Iâ??ve never done before.  I tuned down
to the EME portion of 2M on moonset until I finally came across a few stations
that I could decode.  I wound up working UA9YLU in MO92, by far the best DX of
the contest.  I didnâ??t make many WSJT skeds and there were not a lot of
random stations to work at night so I got some decent sleep this time around
anyway.

Sunday started out slow and steady and included a few more random WSJT and SSB
scatter contacts.  6M finally opened for a while late in the morning, but it
was a spotty fast moving opening without a lot of depth and vigor.  Unusually
it started to the west, then opened simultaneously the NE, TX and to FL, but no
one area seemed to dominate nor was any in for very long.  No big numbers this
time.  I had 2 decent hours before lunch, but nothing really intense or
widespread.  For the most part signals were pinpointed in small single hop
areas, and were not very strong with lots of fast fading.  The only double hop
of note was VO1KVT in GN29 who was in for a few minutes, then quickly gone
again.

Fortunately there was a good turnout of stations to work and persistence put
them slowly into the log.  The rovers were out in force and kept it
interesting, but it was mostly a wait for someone to show up and pounce
contest.  I did get lucky for the last QSO with a 500 mile contact on 2M into
EM54 with W8FR, but for the most part the world dropped off after 400 miles
even using high power.  I wasnâ??t the slowest CQWW VHF Iâ??ve ever done, but
with the great prop weâ??ve enjoyed for the last few years and all the good 6M
Es for the week before the contest, it certainly was disappointing.

73 de Bob2