[3830] CQWW VHF VE3CRU/R Rover HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3cru@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF VE3CRU/R Rover HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 07:40:48 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: VE3CRU/R
Operator(s): VE3CRU
Station: VE3CRU/R

Class: Rover HP
QTH: Ontario grids
Operating Time (hrs): 12

    6:   67    55
    2:   45    38
-------------------
Total:  112    93  Total Score = 14,508

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

QSO's and mults by grids worked

FN02    8 qso's    8 mults
FN03   14 qso's   11 mults
FN04   22 qso's   16 mults
FN13    7 qso's    7 mults
FN14   17 qso's   16 mults
EN92   17 qso's   13 mults
EN93   27 qs0's   22 mults

The above score not verified by electronic logging.

I thought that last year's contest was a rough one, but this one proved to be
even rougher.  Prop and conditions were poor, with a few brief openings.
Covering the east grids netted almost half of the total qso's.  By doubling
back from FN04xa to FN14cb for a second run, netted another 8 Q's and 8 mults
missed before and got FN85 and FN73, before proceeding to FN03tw for first of 2
runs in that grid.  Then 30 minutes to home.  Sunday, a 2 hour drive to the next
grid corners of FN02, FN03, EN92 and EN93.  Ran each grid approx. 1 hour, then
went back for a second run in each to pick up many missed the first time
around.  Paid off.  Note that all equipment is turned off while in motion in
the interest of safety.

Worked VE3SMA in FN05 on both bands from the 4 east grids, but not so lucky in
the west grids, heard but no Q's.  Most frequently worked, in all grids was
KA2LIM.

Captured NP4A in FK68 who was loud on 50.115, thanks to the band scope of the
ProII seeing him for best dx to the south.

I know the score could have been higher.  Almost all qso's were from S & P, and
calling out more often would have helped.  Had new to me but recycled batteries
so held back calling to save battery power, didn't need to I found.  Should
have changed battery on ProII driver, was exhausted at end, an old battery.
Senior moment.  More power on 2, ran 80W and had a brick beside rig that would
have given more power, not used.  More time in the contest would help.
Hindsight is great.  Having said that, I am very happy with my score, which is
about 4K less than last year.
Perseverence pays.

Thanks to CQ for sponsoring this contest, always a lot of fun.  Thanks also to
all I worked, and all who participated.  Looking forward to next year.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R