[3830] IOTA VO1AU SO24CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, VO1AU@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] IOTA VO1AU SO24CW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 06:25:32 -0700
                    IOTA Contest

Call: VO1AU
Operator(s): VO1AU
Station: VO1AU

Class: SO24CW LP
QTH: NA-198 Bell Is.
Operating Time (hrs): 21

   80:   23       15
   40:  275       40
   20:  322       46
   15:    3        2
   10:    1        1
Total:  624      104      0        0  Total Score = 385,632

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

This was a DXpedition operation, running 100w to a single wire antenna: a 40m
horizontal loop.  My QTH was the lighthouse on Bell Island, Newfoundland.  With
Coast Guard permission, I took over the lighthouse for the weekend.  I set my
station up inside the lightkeeper's office and I tied my antenna to the top of
the lighthouse.  The lighthouse is not tall, perhaps 10m, but sits on a 90m
cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.   Bell Island is the site or a former
iron mine, so I suspect the ground conductivity is very high.   This was a good
site for a lightweight DXpedition-style operation.

Conditions were terrible, with very weak signals from Europe most of the time.
With Europeans working each other, it was very hard to attract their attention.
I did have a few hours with good runs near the mid-point of the contest.   I did
manage to work a VK and a ZL, and heard a JA who could not hear me.  Ten metres
was dead, 15m was marginally open to Europe near the end of the contest, and
80m was terribly noisy.  That made this a 20m and 40m contest.