[3830] NAQP CW KA3DRR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ka3drr@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW KA3DRR Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 11:38:55 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: KA3DRR
Operator(s): KA3DRR
Station: KA3DRR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:    0     0
   80:   17     3
   40:   59    21
   20:   43    19
   15:    5     3
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  124    46  Total Score = 5,952

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team 6

Comments:

A personal best thus far and I had a lot of ham radio fun. Given, Cycle 24's
sunspot production, a quiet to stable geomagnetic field made a significant
difference. I did not focus exclusively on search and pounce instead I balanced
out operating strategy with calling CQ more times than not. A friend shared this
bit of advice, "Call CQ till it hurts."

Likewise, the light bulb went off and I watched my log and N1MM's grayline map
as well. For example, when the sun is setting in the West, signals are
generally enhanced from the East. I like to imagine that our G4 class star is a
giant magnetic pulling signals toward Shell Beach through the day into the
evening. I logged Qs from the southeast to the northeast however fading was
somewhat problematic.

Additionally, I paid careful attention to 40m going long shortly before and
after sunset. Maine was finally taken of my states needed list. However I did
not work a single station in the 8-land multiplier grid? Likewise, harvesting
4-land multipliers was a bust usually I log a few. In contrast, I moved to 80m
taking advantage of mid-evening short haul propagation to northern California,
Arizona, Nevada, and Mexico. Lastly, I closed out the final minutes on 40m and
enjoyed one of my best rates in the contest.

I enjoyed robust rates from the condo contest for the first time. I maintained
an average of 10 Qs per hour and felt a sense of accomplishment. Definitely,
40m is proving itself as a go-to band from my location, as I beat 4-hours of
20m production in 2-hours on 40 meters. Consequently, multiplier harvest soared
this weekend and I finally broke through the 25 state barrier; that
accomplishment was exciting as well.

Someone once said and the mantra holds true, "Practice, practice, practice."

73
Scot, KA3DRR
The Condo Contest Station