[3830] NAQP CW K5NA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5na@ecpi.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K5NA Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 06:03:46 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K5NA
Operator(s): K5NA
Station: K5NA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 0.8

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  15     11
   15:  18      9
   10:
-------------------
Total:  33     20  Total Score = 660

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Seven Faces of Richard

Comments:

This was the first of five different operations that I had planned for the
August NAQP CW. Because we were travelling with grandchildren and driving to
Maryland I would have to operate from the mobile station.

The original plan was to try and use five different calls (K5NA, N5AA, K5DU,
W5FOC, & KT2Z) from five different states (LA, MS, AL, GA, & TN). I know from
experience that using the same call in a contest and changing states created
many problems with duping. So the decision to do the different calls was made.
This also created the opportunity for me to operate as an entire team.

We actually started the trip in East Texas but by 1800Z we were already in
Eastern Louisiana. Through Western Louisiana we had been experiencing spots of
heavy rain, but nothing I couldn't handle while driving and operating. The rain
continued in patches through the rest of LA while I was operating.

In 48 minutes we hit the MS border and I had only made 33 QSOs. But I knew when
I started that I would be almost through LA when the contest started. If it
hadn't been for the rain, I probably would have been through LA even quicker.
At the MS border I switched calls to N5AA.

See my next update on the N5AA part of the trip.

73, Richard - K5NA