[3830] SARTG K4GMH SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4gmh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SARTG K4GMH SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 08:29:24 -0700
                    SARTG WW RTTY Contest

Call: K4GMH
Operator(s): K4GMH
Station: K4GMH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 11
Radios: SO2R

   80:   43   430    21
   40:  190  2425    63
   20:  403  5335    81
   15:   48   475    20
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total:  684  8665   185  Total Score = 1,603,025

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Very nice Contest.  Thanks to the SARTG for putting it on.  Like the time
staggered format.

Thanks to all who were kind enough to work me.  All contacts are appreciated.
Lot of great operators.  Even the new calls, at least to me, were well prepared
for RTTY contesting.

Conditions: 80 typical August noise.  Did find a few Europeans, but did not
spend much time on 80.
40 was good other than the noise.  Again, did not have as much time on 40 as
would have liked.  Lack of time on 80 and 40 meters was due to my situation -
family commitments and just too tired to stay up late during the first time
period.
20 was great.  Again, wish I could have spent more time on it.  Started on 20
around 0100Z and found it still open to Europe.  At 1200Z JA1WSK called me when
both ant. were pointed towards Europe.  Turned the top ant. and he was coming in
strong.  Kept the top ant. on JA/Far East and the other on Europe and had a
great time working intermixed both JA/Far East and Europe stations.
Unfortunately, had to QRT at 1226Z as family getting ready to go to the beach
for a week.
15 was okay considering the only time I had on the band was starting ~1600Z.
Did work a few European stations along with KH6ZM.  Wish I could have been
around to see how the 15 m was from 1300Z to 1600Z.

The staggered operating time makes interesting Contest strategy.  You may only
get one chance to work a multiplier during the Contest.  Whereas, contests that
run over the full weekend with either unlimited operating during the 48 hours or
you select when you operate, can produce a second or third chance to work the
multiplier.  SARTG strategy for me was to work the multiplier whenever you saw
it posted on the Band Map.  Not sure how others approach the staggered op. time
strategy of the SARTG Contest?

73,
Mike, K4GMH