[3830] NAQP SSB AL9A Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, al9a@mtaonline.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB AL9A Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 14:22:03 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: AL9A
Operator(s): AL9A
Station: AL9A

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Wasilla, AK
Operating Time (hrs): 9:47

  160:    0     0
   80:    8     5
   40:   60    13
   20:  209    42
   15:    1     1
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  278    61  Total Score = 16,958

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: NCCC Team #2

Comments:

The more I work the summer edition of this contest the more I dislike it!  The
100W limit from AK is akin to do-it-yourself dentistry or eye surgery.  Why do
I keep subjecting myself to the torture?  You cannot truly appreciate the pain
associated with this event until you've operated from up here.

On 20M the skip was short for most of the contest, which means that few East
coast stations were workable.  Midwest, Mountain and West Coast stations were
clearly heard, but they mostly had their beams turned East, away from AK.
Consequently my puny signal was hitting their antennas from the left rear
quarter.  Some kind stations turned their beams when they finally heard AK
calling them and the signal strength gain was stunning.  This is why AK
stations like to run QRO!

Once again 10 and 15M were nonexistent.  I marvel at the scores showing
contacts on those bands and wonder when/if propagation will finally improve up
here.  My only 15M contact was with KL7RA down on the Kenai.  Rich was
plantively calling CQ and he stated "Bleeding like a sheep!" from the lack of
activity.  Several stations asked me to move to 15M for the mult, but every
time I did nada!

When everyone went to 40M that band was just starting to open up here due to
our still long daylight hours.  Apparently most lower 48 stations had
significant QRN on the band which made my signal mostly unreadable in the
noise.  By the time the band got stronger, most stations had QSY'd down to 80M.
 Same story there - band no quite open yet and only a few West Coast stations
could hear me with 100W.

Oh well, summer is almost over and the REAL contesting season is about to
begin.  Glad to get some points in the pot for the SMC and hope to do better in
the Winter edition next year.