[3830] KsQP K5YAA Mobile SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5yaa@okdxa.org
Subject: [3830] KsQP K5YAA Mobile SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 15:19:04 -0700
                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: K5YAA
Operator(s): K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: Mobile SO Mixed LP
QTH: 21 Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 14

   80:     0     0      0
   40:   392     3      0
   20:   770    26      0
   15:     0     0      0
   10:     0     0      0
    6:     0     0      0
    2:     0     0      0
----------------------------
Total:  1162    29      0  Mults = 48  Total Score = 170,112

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

700 clocked miles from Claremore, OK through 21 Kansas counties and back to
Claremore.  The WX was perfect - mid to upper 70s and clear skies both days.
Equipment and the vehicle performed flawlessly.  Operator almost as good!

Only mess up was sitting in a fellas driveway off on a side road.  I was
surprised by him and what looked like his large brother.  They drove up next to
me and asked "Can we help you?".  I said, no just making radio contacts around
the country.  Figured they would leave.  Nope - the smaller of the two said
"You're in my driveway".  I quickly said - "Well, I'll move."  They said no -
that's OK.  Funny thing was - the drive had a large iron fence blocking it (
rusty fence ) and the structure on the property looked like 1910 or maybe even
earlier.  Hay was stored in one room because you could see it - no window in
that particular room.  There was something that looked like a barn but it was
caved in on itself - no hay could be stored there.  When I first pulled up to
get off the road I figured nobody lives here so shouldn't be a problem to stop
for a bit.  Figured wrong.  I didn't chose anything that resembled a driveway
to stop on the rest of the trip.  Just because a place looks uninhabitable
doesn't necessarily mean somebody doesn't like it!

You get real focused on working people in these things from a mobile.  I'm in
COW on 40 CW and get a call from AA0MZ.  I send 599 COW and receive 599 NEM.  I
scratched my head a bit and asked "NE or NM?"  I get back NEM.  OK I think -
maybe I've been copying too much CW.  I ask again "NE or NM?" - some other
station says quickly - Kansas.  I figure it out - this is my first and ends up
being my only KS QSO for the entire trip.  Thanks AA0MZ and sorry I was trying
to put you out of state.  I could have used NE - it was one of 8 states I
didn't work - others were OK, ID, HI, NV, ND, SD, and ME.  Might have worked
some of those on SSB but was 99% CW.  Worked 4 Canadian provinces and several
DX stations.  Most notable were DL3DXX, UA3AGW, HA8IB and LW3EX.  I believe I
worked DL3DXX in all but 2 or 3 of the 21 counties.  Good signals from other
DLs as well.

Thanks to the stations who showed up many, many times.  You helped keep the
long road short.  Also, thanks to all who listened to the bug spurtin extra
dits or lumps of dits rounding curves.  The weighted arm just leaned over and
wouldn't diddle so, now and then a 5 became a long T.  I made some time through
the counties after I figured out how to send, log and watch the road all at the
same time.  Only time I had to pay real close attention was in Wichita -
construction on the freeway caused a stint of stop and go traffic.
I had 2 hours left Saturday evening after completing my intended counties so
retired early.  Might could have added a couple of counties but tired was
setting in so stayed with the original plan.

There were many stations that were present both days and in most if not all the
counties I moved through.  Thanks for that effort.  That's why the mobile end is
so much fun - large numbers of callers - large signals and great operators
hollerin at you.  Once in a while I would just morse out a comment - maybe
traffic, maybe WX or something about the countryside.  Every time I did that,
someone would Roger me.  Thanks for riding along and a special thanks to W0BH
for his efforts in seeing this party get in the books.  Hopefully a number of
county hunting stations filled in some blanks.

K5YAA