[3830] CQ WW RTTY K0IR M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0rc@citlink.net
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY K0IR M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 08:31:37 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K0IR
Operator(s): K0IR, K0RC, K0SV, K0XV, N0UV, WA0MHJ
Station: K0IR

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 46

   80:  407   501       56      22    12
   40:  688  1284       54      72    16
   20: 1106  2660       46      87    30
   15:  210   561       17      65    21
   10:    0     0        0       0     0
Total: 2411  5006      173     246    89  Total Score = 2,543,048

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Ralph Fedor, KÃ?IR was making final connections and adjustments to his station
while Bob Chudek, KÃ?RC finished configuring the local area network for the
2009 CQWW DX RTTY Contest. There was not much time remaining before the launch
of this new Multi-Operator station in central Minnesota. Six operators would
put the KÃ?IR callsign on the air for the shake down cruise. And this would be
the first RTTY event for several of the operators.

The station has three operating positions. Two are equipped with FT-1000D's and
a SO2R position with a pair of IC-756 Pro-3's.  A fourth workstation is used for
administration tasks and is not interfaced to any radios. The amplifiers
consisted of an Alpha 9500, Alpha 8410, Acom 2000A, and an Ameritron AL-1500.
These were run conservatively at 1,000 Watts output. Ralph had an Ameritron
AL-1200 in reserve and a new Alpha 9500 was sitting on a pallet in the garage.

The software used was N1MM and MMTTY configured into a 4-node network. This
software ran without issues while the operators learned how to use it "on the
fly."

The KÃ?IR qth is populated with a half dozen towers with stacks of antennas for
40 through 6 meters. Two of these towers rotate while the remaining towers use
traditional rotators. One older tower remains barren of antennas at the
moment.

Overall the results were beyond all our expectations. Certainly there were
issues that needed attention, but the problems were resolved or worked around
with minor impact.  No smoke was released from any of the equipment and our log
shows 46 hours of operating time. One of those hours was lost late at night when
one of the amplifiers developed a T/R switching problem that attenuated RX
signals by 40 dB or more. Some 40m operating time was lost due to rain static
drowning the band with noise that covered every signal.

Because this was a maiden voyage into unknown waters, we did not set any hard
goals for the contest. We did exchange ideas on a "it would be nice" basis. My
idea was to make WAS and DXCC. These were achieved. Mark, WAÃ?MHJ had the most
aggressive goal. This was to beat the total Minnesota Wireless Association club
score from last year. This was achieved. As a matter of fact, our claimed score
beat the combined total of the two best years on RTTY by the club. Most
important, everyone had a good time and learned a lot over the weekend.

73 de Bob - KÃ?RC in MN