[3830] NCCC Sprint K3TN LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K3TN LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 04:18:16 -0700
                    NCCC Sprint - October 9

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): .5

  160:   8      7
   80:  18     16
   40:  16     10
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  42     33  Total Score = 1,386

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

TS 850 to Windom at 45', shorted G5RV/Marconi at 55' for 160 - sorta

I got back from a trip to SFO in time to jockstrap up a way to short out the
G5RV feed to use it as a Marconi/T on 160 and it seemed to load up fine when I
tested it, so I was psyched to spend some time on 160 for the NS.

40 and 80 were fb but decided to go to 160 with 8 minutes left - and find I
can't load up the shorted antenna at all. Tried a few tricks, nothing - went
back to loading up the Windom and warming up all the slugs and caterpillars
underneath it. I now have a radial plate and 1000' of wire to actually put some
radials under that antenna to become a permanent 55' wire vertical with 102' T
top capacitance hat, so all I need to do is nail down the shorted coax feed.

>From the East Coast, without 20 it is like there are two contests side by side
- the West Coasters and the East Coasters. The Black Holers get to work
everyone - the exact opposite of the FB 15M opening last Sunday in CQP where
the BHers had to to watch the Coasters' QSOs fly way over their heads...

John K3TN