[3830] TBDC N6TR Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tree@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC N6TR Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 08:22:08 -0700
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Warmup

Call: N6TR
Operator(s): N6TR
Station: N6TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 4

Total:  QSOs = 177  Total Score = 1,428

Club: Boring Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

Wow!!  For the past few years, conditions in October have been FANTASTIC the
week before this event.  This year, they were also FANTASTIC during the event.
I worked 48 European stations, including many that I have never worked before.
How cool is it to have UA6s coming back to my CQs?

Things really seemed to thin out later in the evening and I wasn't able to stay
awake all night.

My new antenna system seems to be working well.  It is two gamma matched
towers, 1/4 wave apart - end fire north/south.  I left it in the north
position, but did go to east/west (in phase) for one QSO where someone was
having a hard time getting my grid in Louisiana.  The front-to-back really
makes it a good receiving antenna for one channel of the diversity reception -
using a beverage for the other.  The K3 does the rest.

I could tell if a signal was a European or not by where they appeared in the
stereo image inside my head.  Never thought radio would be this good.

If you would like to hear what it sounded like, there is a MP3 of just over an
hour of my operation starting around 0400Z.  You can find it at
http://www.kkn.net/~tree/160/2009PreStewHour0400.mp3.