[3830] TBDC K0IO Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhn@iowatelecom.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC K0IO Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 14:04:49 -0700
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Warmup

Call: K0IO
Operator(s): K0IO
Station: K0IO

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: EN31 (IA)
Operating Time (hrs): 5

Total:  QSOs = 46  Total Score = 306

Club: Newton ARA

Comments:

Life IS too short for QRP, but being a glutton for punishment and to see who I
could work, I decided to run the K3 at 5 watts. Over the summer, the wires for
my "T" with a 60' vertical element became tangled in the halyards. Not a quick
fix No radials either-- still time to mow the lawn one more time. I wasn't able
to get the resident gopher trained to carry radial wires through his/her burrows
in time. Used an 80-meter inverted vee instead.  Thanks to all the stations who
pulled me out of the mud....and to those who I worked with just one call and a
single "EN31." Heard plenty of Europeans, and KV4FZ and KH6LC probably would
have been a snap with a better antenna and with a few more watts -- didn't work
'em. Missed some 6's too. I need to decide whether to run lp or QRO in the real
thing.  -- John "IO" in the Black (Gopher) Hole