[3830] TBDC W4ZV Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, btippett@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] TBDC W4ZV Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:46:37 -0700
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Warmup

Call: W4ZV
Operator(s): W4ZV
Station: W4ZV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EM95
Operating Time (hrs): 11.5

Total:  QSOs = 386  Total Score = 2,392

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Good but not great conditions here.  We had a storm front off our Atlantic Coast
that was creating QRN on my 70 degree Beverage.  I cannot erect my 40 degree
Beverage to EU until crops are out of the fields in November, so I had a choice
of 0 degrees (which works well for far Northern but not Central EU) or the 70
degree.  70 degrees normally works OK for Central EU but it picked up more QRN
from the coastal storm than my 40 degree Beverage would have.  Nevertheless, I
had 103 EUs not counting at least 6 who did not know their grid square!

This was a shakedown for my new RX 4SQ which I'm using in place of my TX array
(which does not have great F/R).  I'm using diversity in the K3 with Beverages
in one RX and the RX 4SQ in the other.  The 4SQ is also nice for covering some
missing directions during the agricultural season.  My system is a hybrid of
several components: 20' homebrew verticals, K7TJR Hi-Z preamps, DXE controller
and Clifton Labs preamp back in the shack.  It's optimized for maximum F/R
rather than RDF because our most common noise problem here is from the Gulf
Coast region (i.e. SW when working EU).

Last year was my first experience with N1MM and I'm finally getting the hang of
it.  No more lost QSOs because of LID operator errors.

Thanks to everyone for the participation and see you in the next one!

73,  Bill W4ZV