[3830] TBDC WF7T Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, brad.wf7t@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC WF7T Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:40:46 -0700
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Warmup

Call: WF7T
Operator(s): WF7T
Station: WF7T

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

Total:  QSOs = 73  Total Score = 163

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

First time in the Stew Perry Warmup.  Decided to create a voltage-fed Tee by
tying the twin-lead together of my ghetto-magic(tm) G5RV and feeding over some
radials (10 or so) between 50-70 feet in length.  At least that is the way they
started but there has been a long, tough grass-cutting season so who knows the
actual length now.  Basically I had a 30' tall vertical with 100' top-hat over
10 radials.

It worked much better than expected with 100 watts.  I am sure it was still a
puny signal for all but NVIS and I thank all the great ops out there who
completed.  Actually made my first six QSOs with 5 watts (WB8JUI, N4OGW, WD5R,
NS9I, W4ZV and KE9I have some great ears!) The QRP was accidental as I was
dorking around in the ARCI test earlier.

This was a fun milestone for me. I have played on 160M when my G5RV was wet and
would tune below 3:1 (or wherever the 857 SWR fold-back is not) but never
operated with a proper antenna.  And before anyone laughs at "proper" (does
anyone even read this) I have wanted to play on 160M for a long long time. Now
I have a wee taste of how fun this band can be. Thanks all!

73, Brad WF7T
Nashville, TN