[3830] CQWW SSB ND0C SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, randydvm@iw.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB ND0C SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 17:35:00 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: ND0C
Operator(s): ND0C
Station: ND0C

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Minnesota
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:    2     2        1
   80:   10     3        2
   40:   15     8        7
   20:   73    20       41
   15:  114    17       51
   10:    4     2        3
------------------------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

This was a part-time effort due to family commitments, but I really enjoyed the
surprisingly good propagation on 15. (I missed all of Saturday afternoon and
evening.)  I never expected to work over 50 countries on 15 this year with the
way conditions have been.  And 10 meters even opened up briefly to SA from here
in the "black hole".  Really tough going on 20 with the QRM.  40 and 80 were
disappointing - seemed noisy and signals were down.

I decided to activate the old Argonaut for this one - I don't use it much
anymore, tending to defer to the more advanced FT-897D (and its relative QRO of
5 watts!)  The Argonaut doesn't have the filtering and VFO accuracy of the
Yaesu, but it can really "talk" for only 3 watts!  I did use the Yaesu for 160
and split frequency operation on 40 - neither of which the Argonaut can do.

Thanks again to all the great operators out there who dug out my 3 watt signal
through the splatter and noise.

Station:
   Ten Tec Argonaut 509 - 3 watts output
   Yaesu FT-897D (at 5 watts output) for 160 and split frequency operation on
40
   3 element tribander at 48 feet and tuned dipole at 45 feet

73,
Randy, ND0C