[3830] CQWW SSB VK4CZ SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vk4cz@wia.org.au
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VK4CZ SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:44:58 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VK4CZ
Operator(s): VK4CZ
Station: VK4CZ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Clear Mt
Operating Time (hrs): 32

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   40    14       14
   40:   96    24       41
   20:  373    32       83
   15: 1176    31       84
   10:  225    18       37
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

A thunderstorm, lightning stike along the ridge here, intermitent coax fault on
10m (I did say I was going to fix that 12 months ago!!!!) and then blowing a
tube in the amp (found spare and installed it - back on in <45 minutes).... all
makes for a fun contest!

Condx were great considering an SFI of just 71.... A index starting out above
17 and then back to 7 by end of contest certainly helped us along.

The best bits...
* HC8A and KL7RA on 5 bands.
* 10m back to form (even with issues here limiting amount of Qs - new antenna
and hardline coax in next month will fiix that)
* 15m for being 15m during the contest - the money band 3 years running.

Need to does for next year:
* Fix 10m antenna
* Install 160m antenna
* Get narrower filters in radio (maybe in a new radio!)

In hindsight I must admit that the sheer regularity of the Cypriat stations was
amazing. Seemed the moment that the bands opened they were there, just like D44C
and the numerous stations from CT3 Madeira Is.

What has also amazed me as I reflect in my sleep deprived stuper was the prop
on 20m. I know we've raved on about 15 and the 'return' of 10m but 20m was
certainly behaving well. This morning I beamed 330 to chase a few Q's out of
Asian and quickly realised that the  was still open short path this morning -
and quickly received good reports from Zone 16, 15 and even a zone 14 station
all at approx 2200z or 8am AEST).

Ramon A35KK comment was interesting - "except for the OC stations, no one can
hear you without turning the antenna on you. "

We've suffer this too long.... but have almost given up on whinging (or calling
until blue in the face) ....Ramon now understands what it's like 'down under'.

15m and 20m around 11pm AEST is a wash with EU stations all with their yagis on
W. And W and Caribbean LP in the morning is also an issue with them beaming SP
to EU and not listening our way. I could hear at least 15 Caribbean stations
Day 2 2200z LP but they couldnt hear me whilst they beamed EU.

Scott
VK4CZ