[3830] CQWW SSB XU7KOH M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, XU7TZG@GMAIL.COM
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB XU7KOH M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 04:34:47 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: XU7KOH
Operator(s): XU7TZG, XU7ACY
Station: XU7KOH

Class: M/S LP
QTH: KOH RUSSEI, Cambodia
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    2     2        2
   40:  134    18       26
   20:  340    23       65
   15:  191    14       15
   10:    2     2        2
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Wim(XU7TZG)and I arrived on Bamboo Island (AS-133)on Friday at 11:00 AM and
began to assemble the station and raise the antennas in the scorching heat and
humidity.Murphy struck early as when we went to raise our 3 element wire beam
for 20 meters the support rope snapped as soon as we began to put tension on
it.It was obvious that the entire length of rope we had (100 meters)was rotted
and useless.We ended up tying every length of wire and string we had on hand to
get the wire beam up.We gave the tourist boat driver a sample of rope and some
money to purchase replacement rope for us as he would be leaving the Island at
2:00PM and would return the next day at 11:00AM.We also managed to get a long
wire dipole (2 times 329' !) up before dark and then began setting up the
station.We used a Yaesu FT-857 and an MFJ voice keyer and a homemade headset
with the mobile mike and a coat hanger wrapped around our neck.That night we
got on and had some very good reports from Europe with the wire beam fixed to
that direction.The rope arrived the next morning as planned and we replaced the
wire beam pull rope and got the 40 meter vertical up pronto.The contest begins
there at 7:00 AM local time on Saturday morning and we were ready.Bands were
not in good shape and we struggled all day and night.We called CQ endlessly
with very few answers.At midnite a svery srong thunderstorm blew in and we were
forced to shut down.Got up for sunrise and discoverd a high SWR on both the 40
and 20 meter antenna.Looked out the door of our beach hut and soon saw the
reason.A huge 75 foot high tree that was right on the beach had blown over in
the storm and tore down both antennas.Back to work,got one of the locals to
climb a coconut tree and put up a new pulley and line.But now we had no place
to tie the ends of the elements from the 20 meter beam as the tree we were
using was now hoizontal.Only option was to use long lengths of kite string and
tie the far ends to heavy rocks and drop them in the Gulf of Thailand.Only had
to last a day and a half so that is what we did and it worked out just
fine.Still a struggle to get anyones attention and did a lot of search and
pounce as running proved fruitless.Finally Sunday night got a brief opening
into Europe and ran a bunch.40 meters is very tough from this location as there
is a 50 khz S9 digital pulsing signal that moves up and down the band.Did get a
few W6's and 7's in the log on 40 thou.Spent t5he last 2 hours on 20 and got a
small run going.Decided to try and tune the band for some East Coasters and
sure enough found and worked KC1XX,K3LR and W3LPL.Did not hear any other others
but did hear some W6's but they did not hear us.Took the tourist boat off the
Island that day and ready to crash for the next 2 days.A big thank you to
Orn,Wim's girlfriend,who did countless odd jobs(untanggled many spools of wire
string and rope for us,kept the generator filled and running and kept our
belly's full.Working on getting a tower put up on the Island for next year and
some real antennas.Thanks for all the Q's,Peter,XU7ACY (NO2R), Wim (XU7TZG)