[3830] CQWW SSB AA1K SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jz73@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB AA1K SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 06:37:33 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: AA1K
Operator(s): AA1K
Station: AA1K

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Delaware
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1969    38      131
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1969    38      131  Total Score = 926,120

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

It was tough operating with the memory of the C6APR tragedy still fresh in my
mind. This was a terrible loss, and this entry is dedicated to W3PP, W2GJ,
K3IXD and K4QO.

My station is still recovering from some "minor" lightning damage but I still
thought I'd be able to do an all-band SO1R operation. But found out too late on
Friday that 40 and 15m antennas were inoperative, so decided to do a single-band
entry for first time since the early 1980s.

Murphy kept at me -- lost an hour Friday night to fix scraping blower in the
Alpha 89, and another hour late Saturday trying to resolve a loud spur problem
that another station reported from my K3 (ended up switching to FT1000MP for
duration of contest).

After Saturday storms cleared I had loud line noise from the line feeding our
house -- about 150 feet west of the 20-meter tower. It was not bad when beaming
Europe but still masked some weaker signals. It was S9 though from about 170 to
330 degrees and stayed most of Sunday. Still managed to work some nice
multipliers from Asia -- VR2, BA, BX, JT, 9M6, HS0 etc. Never heard a 4X all
weekend. Heard 4U1UN twice but couldn't get them to hear me. Missed zones 37
and 34.

Antennas: 3-stack of 204BA yagis on 100 ft. tower. Bottom two fixed on Europe.
Also used Beverages for RX at times.

73/Jon AA1K (a former 20-meter operator at W3PP multi-multis)