[3830] CQWW SSB K5XA SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5xa@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K5XA SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 07:06:28 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K5XA
Operator(s): K5XA
Station: K5XA

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Kerrville, TX
Operating Time (hrs): 16:44

  160:
   80:
   40:   92    18       41
   20:   72    23       39
   15:  200    20       45
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Yaesu FT-1000MP

Antennas: F12 C31-XR @129', F12 C31-XR @81' (fixed NE), F12 Mag 240N@135'

Another part time shake down cruise of the new but not yet completed station.
Highlights were how well the F12 C31s and Mag 240N performed.

One issue was getting the Rigblaster M8 interfaced to the computer sound card
so I could use the N1MM DVK functions.  As it turned out, whenever I did call
CQ (which wasn't that often), I only wound up using the F1 call CQ function,
and almost none of the F key functions when I was S&P. I'm thinking that F keys
are great for CW, but not terrific for phone, and I think I remember now that I
had come to that same conclusion the last time I contested seriously long, long
ago!

I got discouraged early in the contest whenever I decided to call CQ, when
almost all the stations that were coming back to me were W's. However, on
Saturday afternoon starting at around 2200Z on 15 I had a nice run mostly of
JAs, and it felt nice. And I had some other short runs along the way. I also
worked some pretty nice Pacific and Asian contacts.

Besides some things that need to be corrected or changed, the most serious
issue is that I have very bad intermittent noise problems that I am going to
have to find - sometimes as bad as S9. I could rotate the antennas away from
it, so I know it is somewhere outside.

All in all, it was great fun!
73, K5XA