[3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:34:05 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:    2     2        1
   80:    6     4        4
   40:   27     8        7
   20:   65    18       26
   15:  118    24       48
   10:    7     6        6
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Antennas:

3 el SteppIR up 32 feet
HF-2V vertical for 40-80
Low DX-LB for 160
________________________

After working at contest stations like TI5N and N0KE, it is tough to do a major
contest from my home station! Especially near the bottom of the cycle.

The good news is that my score was a bit better than last year and I heard and
occasionally worked better DX than I have in a couple years. So maybe we are
past the bottom of the cycle.   .....maybe!

Sleep management is very important in these contests. I am 69 years old and it
is getting harder to stay up!  I had 2 hours the first night, and when the
night bands were still bad I went back for another hour. The second night I
slept 3 hours straight. So a total of 6 hours of sleep and 2 hours for other
miscellaneous activity gave me 40 hours at the rig. Boy do I sleep well on
Sunday night!!!

My best Qs were:

10 M. I had zero Qs last year so any Q would be great! But I was especially
delighted to log A31KK.

15 M. VK8NSD, ZK2DL, 5H3EE, and ZS9T were great Qs to put in the log!

20 M. A31KK, JW7QIA, and RZ9HG in Zone 18 were my best on 20.

40 M. 11 of my 27 Qs were with JA.

80 M. The only off continent station to hear me was KH7X.

160M. Many thanks to K7FA and N0KE who struggled with GREAT patience to put me
in their log with my lousy antenna!!  Thank you!!

I notced more Japanese stations in this contest. In fact, 40 of my 225 Qs were
with JA, more than any other country including VE or LU.

I had only one station answer a CQ. It was Glenn, K6NA who gave me a double
mult on 10 Meters when I had just about given up hope for getting my own
country and zone in the log on 10!

And it was great to work my neighbor John, K6AM, who was at the mike at PJ2T.
He said that after he got a few letters in my call he was able to recognize me
by how weak my signal was. It's nice to have a distinctive signal!

See you all in the CW weekend where I will be operating from N0KE, Phil's
station in western Colorado while he goes to TI5N.

73,   ....Bill  W8QZA / W6QU